1000 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 1000 models.

What are Power Commanders?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are Power Commanders?

Hey All,

I keep reading the product descriptions for Power Commanders, but don't really understand what they're for. Are they for more power or a smoother ride? Are the worth buying? I see there is a Power Commander III, does that mean the other two wern't good? Are they coming out with a Power Commander IV? I'm really confused about these things.

I have a 05 CBR1000RR

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanx in advance for any suggestions.
JM

[IMG]local://upfiles/4770/8C35BEA4E35E4481BA92B1B6A3F7FDDC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-11-2006, 12:31 PM
Default RE: What are Power Commanders?

A power commander allows you to alter the fueling on your bike, On our bikes its fuel injection so it just a matter of the ECU (stock form) telling the injectors to put X amount of fuel in for X amount of throttle opening with X amount of air flow.

What the Power commander does is take over the commands instead of the ECU doing it, this allows you to adjust the amounts of the above equazion. This equation is usally given the term a fueling map.

The Stock Fuel map isnt perfect, its been set up so the bike will pass emission tests at 5000 rpm, so its a bit of a comprimise.

This can be altered to get the best from the exhaust and airfilter setup with a PC3, but the main use for one would be to get the best performance from any mods you make, like K&N air filter or Slip on Can or full exhaust system.

3 is just the latest version with a usb connection to upload maps from your pc.

Old 02-11-2006, 01:56 PM

Couldn't have said it any better myself. Actually I don't think I could have said it that good.

Oh ya nice ride. Don't see many of the charcoal ones.

Old 02-11-2006, 04:15 PM
L8X

'nuff said

Old 02-11-2006, 08:38 PM

Your explanation makes perfect sense.

Does the Power Commander customize the bike to suite your style of riding? Do you hook it up to your own PC or do you bring it into a shop for them to make the adjustments? How many maps can you have in the Power Commander? For example, if I was more concerned about mileage and efficiency, could that be a map? If I want a map for extreme power, would I have this map stored in the Power Commander to be switched when needed? Is that what I understand, or does it just map the best formula for your bike to include any modifications?

Once again, thanx for all your advice and knowledge about these things. I’m just trying to make sure I have a good understanding of these type things so I can do any modifications smartley.

ORIGINAL: Anubis

A power commander allows you to alter the fueling on your bike, On our bikes its fuel injection so it just a matter of the ECU (stock form) telling the injectors to put X amount of fuel in for X amount of throttle opening with X amount of air flow.

What the Power commander does is take over the commands instead of the ECU doing it, this allows you to adjust the amounts of the above equazion. This equation is usally given the term a fueling map.

The Stock Fuel map isnt perfect, its been set up so the bike will pass emission tests at 5000 rpm, so its a bit of a comprimise.

This can be altered to get the best from the exhaust and airfilter setup with a PC3, but the main use for one would be to get the best performance from any mods you make, like K&N air filter or Slip on Can or full exhaust system.

3 is just the latest version with a usb connection to upload maps from your pc.

Old 02-13-2006, 07:57 PM

The maps are fully adjustable by yourself, by 3 ways.

1) Download someone elses map and send it to your PC3

2) Adjust the settings from the 3 buttons on the PC3

3) Adjust the settings within the map yourself (not recomended unless you have knowledge of fuel ratios)

The PC3 holds one map at a time, if you change it then just save the original to your pc for later use. Your bike could be tuned for outright power within sertain rev limits but you`d lose power at other places within the rev range. It always a comprimise, but the pc3 does definatley make a noticeable difference when adjusted specificallyy for your bike. I can vouch for that.

Old 02-19-2006, 03:23 PM

Thanx everyone for all your help. I think I'm going to hold off on getting one until I do some modifications.
JM

Old 04-17-2008, 08:09 AM

How does it effect fuel efficancy? will I loose gas mileage?

Old 07-24-2008, 02:14 PM

So here's a question for you, then...I bought an '07 1KRR...brand new, no miles on it, about a month ago. I took it out and it broke down with 12.6mi on the odometer. It was in the shop for a week and they fixed the problem. Get it back, and that night the throttle starts cutting out on me. In the shop for another week. They tell me the bike had a bad computer and they had a Honda rep come out. Ends up the only computer they can get for the bike is from a Repsol, so they put the Repsol bike in mine...no charge.

If I put a can on the bike, am I going to need a power commander, or will the Repsol comp already be good enough to take care of any issues?

~Adam

Old 07-24-2008, 04:20 PM

The only difference between a Repsol and every other CBR1000 RR is paint color and a few stickers.

Quick Reply: What are Power Commanders?