1000 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 1000 models.

Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension

I'm wanting to put on the Öhlins front fork spring kit # 08704-10 and the rear Öhlins shock absorber 46PRXLS for my 2005 Repsol. What do you guy's think about doing this modifcation?

Old 10-13-2005, 02:00 PM
Default RE: Suspension

what are you looking to acheive?

Old 10-13-2005, 02:35 PM

If I had the money I would do it , upgrading your suspension can never hurt.

Old 10-13-2005, 02:53 PM

Best mods you can make. When I've got the dough I will do it too. I will probably go with the Ohlins R&T forks. Also putting lighter wheels on will make a huge difference in how she handles.

Old 10-13-2005, 08:34 PM

Thanks for the reply.....

Old 10-14-2005, 02:19 AM

Red Rider, you never answered my question.

The reason I asked is because the answer to your original question (whether or not you should get an Ohlins suspension) greatly depends on the answer to the one I asked.

While the others who have responded say you should do it, bear in mind that you could quite easily spend $1500 or so on overkill. There is no doubt that you'll get a better performing bike. But if you're only going to be riding in the street and twisties, an Ohlins suspension would likely be far more than what you'd need. You can get a "good enough" suspension by just upgrading some of the components of your suspension (e.g. springs, valves) with, say, RaceTech components.

You really won't feel/notice/utilize the full capabilities of an Ohlins suspension unless you go to the track.

Also, I think you can get better bang for the buck with various other suspension makers. For example, for just a little more money, a Penske shock could be purchased and you'll get a much better shock with more functionality. Likewise, for the same money as Ohlins forks components, you could get, say, GP Suspension components and get more functionality. you can read about my comparison with Ohlins and Penske here (granted its two different bikes but you'll get the idea):
http://forums.cbrworld.net/forums/196035/ShowPost.aspx

Just my 2 abe lincolns.

Old 10-14-2005, 04:08 PM

ORIGINAL: abadfish

what are you looking to acheive?

I'm trying and will acheive better proformance. Right now I ride on the street and will start riding on the track at Thunder hill in CA. Thanks for your comments on the suspension and I will let you know which way I go. I'm bringing my bike down to BRG motorsports today for it's Dyno tuning and will speak with them as well regarding suspension and cams. Thanks again for your input.

Old 10-14-2005, 04:18 PM

IMHO, don't bother with things like cams and various other "performance" mods. Do your suspension first. That is the one component that will get you around the track faster, not the "performance" mods.

See ya at Thunderhill

Old 10-14-2005, 04:26 PM

Thanks abadfish for your comments and hope my Dyno tuning goes good today as well .I'm getting ready to go to my 3:00 appointment for the tuning. When is your next trip to Thunder Hill?

Old 10-14-2005, 05:19 PM

Not sure when my next Thunderhill day is. I just did Sears Pt. I may be able to do THill at the end of this month but my schedule is a bit hectic right now.

<--- BTW, this is Turn 9 at Thunderhill.

Quick Reply: Suspension