1000 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 1000 models.

rs5 carbon slip on

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 08:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rs5 carbon slip on

ok guys and girls
i want to buy the rs5 carbon yoshimura slip on BUT...i hear that the carbon does not hold up very good, short life on the can. anyone hear about this problem?

Old 12-28-2006, 11:21 PM
Default RE: rs5 carbon slip on

that's a fallacy

Old 12-29-2006, 01:22 PM

I have heard that too, but I think they have figured out how to make it last as long as any other material. Old info, no longer applies.

Old 12-29-2006, 03:22 PM

mannyrios that is a sweet looking tail section. i think i am leanign toward the titanium to somewhat match my silver 06 1k what do you think

Old 12-29-2006, 04:01 PM

+1
Mine is a gorgeous as the day I received it.
ORIGINAL: FATHEADS1KRR

I have heard that too, but I think they have figured out how to make it last as long as any other material. Old info, no longer applies.

Old 12-29-2006, 04:36 PM

I love mine. My bike sounds almost identical to my buddies old 9rr. I took the stupid street baffle **** out and it has a raspy crackle sound.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:19 PM

ORIGINAL: MeyekulBayrd

I love mine. My bike sounds almost identical to my buddies old 9rr. I took the stupid street baffle **** out and it has a raspy crackle sound.
What do you mean? Out of the RS5 Slip on? Or stock? Due explain... if it's the RS5...details please.

ORIGINAL: kryptonite_cycle

mannyrios that is a sweet looking tail section. i think i am leanign toward the titanium to somewhat match my silver 06 1k what do you think
Thanks dude. Basic...the bike is fast enough. So, I installed the carbon fiber for looks alone. And of course...sound. Check her vocals here.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:29 PM

I'm talking about the RS5 carbon cone yosh pipe I just put on. I bought it off ebay not knowing if it was the street or race version. The street version has a silencer insert. Well, I got the street version and it sounded like crap. Drilled out all the rivets on the cone tip and pulled the silencer and now its pretty damn loud. Like I said before it's a raspy crackeling sound, but not the high pitch weed eater sound. To be honest, I bought the exhaust on pure looks alone. I could give a **** about gains, the bike makes enough power as is.

Old 12-31-2006, 01:38 PM

I hear ya on the looks. I did the same. The sounds is okay... and I wasn't aware that you could remove the silencer. That's good to know. Post some pics if ya have any!

Old 12-31-2006, 02:59 PM

Well, I don't have pics because of a lack of digital camera and data cable for my phone. But, the removal is actually quite simple. The difference is a night and day without the silencer. I'll go ahead and describe the removal process.

1. Get a decent drill, rivet gun, rivets, small punch, and a hammer. The exact size of rivets I don't know, they're in the garage and I'm lazy. Details details. Oh yeah, obviously, you'll need a couple of bits, also in the garage.
2. Drill eatch rivet until the head of the rivet spins. STOP THERE unless you want a big hole in the carbon cone. Do each rivet this way. Then take the small punch and a hammer and peck, well beat in, the old rivets.
3. Remove cone tip. It just slides off. The exhaust is just like the regular rs5 and the cone is just a cosmetic cover so don't worry about packing coming out.
4. The silencer is held in with only one hex head bolt and round nut. The fun part is that the bolt is tacked in place so don't bother trying to unscrew it. Get a mega huge bit and drill it out, the peck out the rest with a punch.
5. Replace all the rivets in the cone tip and REMEMBER the small metal plates on the sides because it looks retarded without them. Oh yeah, line it up with the exhaust or it will look stupid.

This took me and hour only because I had to guy across town to buy rivets. If anyone wants exact sizes on bits and rivets just post up. Oh yeah, this can all be done with the exhaust on the bike. The rear plastic has to be removed.

Quick Reply: rs5 carbon slip on