1000 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 1000 models.

removing the baffle?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 07:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing the baffle?!

ok, i know that the muffler serves 2 purposes to provide backpressure and noise reduction. so, the baffle only provides for noise reduction and does nothing for backpressure, while desrupting the flow of exhuast in effect klling some HP, right? To be honest i'd like to get rid of the baffle mainly for noise purposes, but hp gain is a plus. Please let me know if my logic is flawed, usually is ). Also, is it at all possible to get rid of the cat converter for additional power gain? I apreciate any feedback on this guys, thanx!

Old 01-15-2007, 12:39 PM
Default RE: removing the baffle?!

I Drilled out my baffels with a 1" hole saw down each pipe. Sounds alot meaner, a bit buzzy at higher rpms but better thatn nothing at all. her's a link that will give you dyno results of drilled out pipe on an 05 CBR 1000rr http://hooliganbiketech.dynup.net/ho...frameindex.htm
Hope This helps

Old 02-05-2007, 06:49 PM

I cut the exhaust open at the topand cut a big hole in the baffle opposite the intake pipe then welded the can back up i also took away the vavle completely and welded up the holes sounds great !

Old 02-13-2007, 01:06 AM

ORIGINAL: bornluckee13

I Drilled out my baffels with a 1" hole saw down each pipe. Sounds alot meaner, a bit buzzy at higher rpms but better thatn nothing at all. her's a link that will give you dyno results of drilled out pipe on an 05 CBR 1000rr http://hooliganbiketech.dynup.net/ho...frameindex.htm
Hope This helps
I searched that entire site and could not find a single article talking about how to drill or mod the exhaust. I found a sound clip of the exhaust that had been punched out, but nothing about how to do it.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:47 PM

I did what that guy up there did. Drilled some holes and the bike does sound meaner. I didn't drill 1inch holes mine are half an inch. Couldn't find a unibit that would fit on a 12in extension so I went with the 1/2 in and drilled 2 holes on each end of the tail pipe. Sounds great. Wonder though if I had drilled a larger diameter hole if it would sound deeper.

There is a slight increase in vibrations, didn't like that but its not enough to were it is bothersome. Just ever so slight. Expected I guess when you are making something louder and having a deeper rumble. Beats spending $500- $600 for a slip on. I did it because I wanted the sound not necessary a performance increase, the bike has plenty of power, it was just too quiet.

Did alot of research on "how and if" drilling holes into the tailpipe baffle. If someone knows something that I have yet to experience by doing this and have screwed something up, please let me know.

Old 02-16-2007, 08:29 PM

Squire, click the DYNO RUNS link. Read that article and It'll give you details and dyno charts. As far as the drilling, I went to Home depot and got a 1" drillbit and a 18" extension. Then just stuck it down each exaust port (on the can) with the bike running, to blow out any shavings. Yoou could probally get away with a 1 1/4" bit though, just measure the diameter of the ports.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:12 PM

I just put a yoshi rs5 carbon with carbon tip on mine, drilled the riverts out and took the baffle out...sounds soooo much better!! I got all the info to do it off this forum...Thanks guys

Old 02-17-2007, 03:54 AM

I couldn't find an extension that would hold the 1 inch unibit so I got the 1/2 inch and drilled 2 holes on each side. Wondering if I should drill a 3rd hole on each side to increase the hole size so it looks like a flattened circle sorta and am wondering if that would make the bike sound deeper and or louder.

Anyone have an idea if the size of the hole would make a difference in the tone or sound of the exhaust when drilling out the baffle?

Anyone have experience with this, start out with a smaller hole and then increased the size of the hole and noticed any difference?

When I drilled the 1st hole that made a noticable difference. When I drilled the second hole I really couln't tell. Just wanting to know if someone already has done what I'm about to do. ( increase the size of the hole )

This mod is definitely worth doing to me. Sounds much better. I was surprised how quiet the 1000 was compared to my 600. And it cost way less than a new slip on.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:28 AM

All you ever wanted to know about drilling your exhaust.

BTW Hi there, I'm Paul and I have a 2 wheel addiction! [:-]

Old 02-18-2007, 04:42 AM

Thanks for the link. Great info but I don't know if drilling more holes makes it better or deeper sounding. There seems to be guys that drilled 1 and 1/4 inch holes and them some that drilled more smaller 1/2 inch and smaller holes.

The sound bites from the repsol with drilled holes and with the aftermarket pipe really are different. The aftermarket sounds better much deeper sounding.

Looks like I will try bigger holes just to see what it does and if it is not to my liking then I'm going with an aftermarket pipe. Geez there are so many to choose.

Quick Reply: removing the baffle?!