1000 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 1000 models.

Just a note on Gilles Rearsets

Old 07-03-2006, 04:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just a note on Gilles Rearsets

Have had my Gilles on from just about two weeks now, gotta say i love them, except for one problem; the shift lever peg....I was scooting down the 101 at about 70 mph and went to grab a lower gear, much to my surprise the little peg on the lever was no where to be found....thank god the 1krr has lots of torque, limped it home in 3rd and called my dealer, who put them on; they weren't surprised....he said that had that same problem on someone elses and ordered me a new shift peg. He said that the have a fix to make sure it stays tight this time but for the cost, i think they should be that way from the factory....emailed gilles directly, let you know what they say. So if you get them, make checking that part of your pre-ride check list....no fun when it falls off.

Old 07-03-2006, 06:33 PM
Default RE: Just a note on Gilles Rearsets

Dude thread lock all parts like that on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Old 07-04-2006, 03:08 AM

Man I just had that happen to me today !!!! I got it in third and went home too ! wow
But it was stock and on the 60frwy and I have to wait to get the bolts 3 days before they get here damit !

Old 07-04-2006, 04:58 PM

Gilles emailed me back today, was quite surprised considering they are in Germany. They are sending me another shifter toe peg. I don't want to sound greedy, but the dealer is already replacing the peg free too, so I guess I will have a back up. I responded to Gilles letting them know while I appreciate the quick response and the free peg, I still question the quality and craftsmanship of their product, for almost 500 bones, it just shouldn't happen, not to mention it also posed a safety concern. We will see what they say. As for the thread lock, I whole heartedly agree, and use it myself, but didn't think I'd have to do that myself when I paid to have them installed. I will check it thoroughly after its replaced. I the mean time I got a rubber shifter cover and used a 1/4 in bolts with double nuts and lock washers....is very pretty, but its solid and gets me back on the road...and yes I used thread lock

Old 07-04-2006, 08:09 PM

easy fix if you get any rear sets just use lock-tite blue red might be extreme in case you need to replace it... I had a similar problem with my vortex rear sets and by luck mine did not fall off but did come loose.

Old 07-05-2006, 10:39 AM

in case you don't have Loctite raid your girl's drawer for clear nail polish

Old 07-20-2006, 05:02 AM

Will have to keep that in mind, but I never had that happen when with the Gilles on my gix750. had them on for two years with no problem.

Old 07-25-2006, 02:53 PM

use green loctite if you can find it-it is for assembly-just apply a few drops to the
bolts in question and let dry then install-you want the bolts to be able to be removed if needed
-button head allen bolts suck to remove if the heads strip!!!there are tools to remove
stripped bolts but require use of a hammer,could posibly hurt the frame-as the reverse threaded
tool is knocked into the bolt head(which is then removed with a wrench or socket)
this thread caught my i as i have just installed a gilles shift shaft support bracket to my 954

Old 07-25-2006, 02:54 PM

thanks for all the responses, problem is solved, both the dealer and gilles sent me a new peg; so now i have a back up; dealer put their new one on and haven't had any issues with it since....love my rearsets again

Old 10-15-2006, 03:01 PM

glad to read this, i just got mine and once i tightened my chain, i fawking love these rearsets! i did notice that the dealership didnt lock tite my **** either, but i was playing around with postion so i did lock tite once i found my postion.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just a note on Gilles Rearsets