1000 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 1000 models.

fork mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 07:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fork mods

Anyone done any front fork mods, stiffer springs/oil etc
looking for any ideas, feel free to advise on prefered brands etc
thanks.

Old 01-10-2006, 08:09 AM
Default RE: fork mods

Sorry if you already have but have you tried adjusting the ratios on the shocks with the standard springs in? You have a wide range of adjustment there. Plenty unless your a club racer or the weight of 3 men. Unless of course its time for them to be rebuilt or you just fancy it.

Old 01-10-2006, 01:09 PM

Had mine rebuilt by RaceTech , made a world of difference. (that and the Ohlins shock)
If I had it to do all over again I would have made it my first mod.

Old 01-10-2006, 04:41 PM
L8X

i would just have it tuned to your body weight.

Old 01-11-2006, 04:51 AM

thanks guys all good advice,
club racer i m not though , ive played around quite a bit
but im no suspention guru! i like to have the front end set pretty soft
but im pretty late/hard on the brakes also, probably need to adjust my riding style a bit
as well as this is also my 1st honda , think i'll play some more and check out the rework
price.

Old 01-11-2006, 07:42 AM

Try havin a read of this Suspension 101 see if you get any light shed on your needs, One thing i will say though... Soft front susp doesn`t go well with late hard braking it`s a recipe for disaster.

Old 01-11-2006, 10:46 PM

I put a lighter weight oil in my front fors to soften them up

Old 01-12-2006, 09:26 AM

I`m sorry to semi jack the post, but mine still dives a bit more than I like when braking but preload is already set up for my body weight (as far as sag is concerned, it is actually on the stiff side). Should I add more preload, or add more compression dampening ?

Old 01-12-2006, 10:50 AM

Add a touch more compression damping, (Adjuster @ bottom o the forks) works for me, He`s a tip if you didn`t already know. I`ve wrapped a cable tie round the fork leg tightish then snipped the loose end off. Move it to the top before you go out on a ride then when you stop you can see how much movement you`ve used and help with deciding how much to adjust. i`ll post a pic when I get home show ya what i mean.

Old 01-12-2006, 01:42 PM

Thats a great idea..... stupidly simple, but I`ve never thought of it. Is the extra compression dampening gonna hurt my forks ? I live in southern mississippi where the roads are still jacked from the hurricane, and a lot of swerving goes with every ride. every now and then a pothole sneeks out that you can`t avoid and I`m so afraid of effin up my forks or stressin my steering head/frame too much....
ORIGINAL: Anubis

Add a touch more compression damping, (Adjuster @ bottom o the forks) works for me, He`s a tip if you didn`t already know. I`ve wrapped a cable tie round the fork leg tightish then snipped the loose end off. Move it to the top before you go out on a ride then when you stop you can see how much movement you`ve used and help with deciding how much to adjust. i`ll post a pic when I get home show ya what i mean.

Quick Reply: fork mods