1000 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 1000 models.

flapper mod harmfull

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 06:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flapper mod harmfull

has anyone heard of this??.A friend"heard" thatthe modlets too much oxygen into the engine (over-oxygenated) and this is harmfull in the "LONG RUN" of your engine life. Is it possible to have too much oxygen in the engine?? WTF, figures, I just did the mod two days ago. I can't imagine there being any advearse NEGATIVE effects to the engine or electrical components with this mod, but then again, I am far from being mechanically inclined.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:52 PM
Default RE: flapper mod harmfull

the bike will only use as much as it can
no more no less

besides after 5K rpms the flap is fully open anyway

Old 07-06-2007, 08:43 PM

Did he mean oxygen or air? Air is 21% oxygen, and the % decreases with altitude of course. But maybe he meant too much air to the motor, like running it lean? nope.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:34 PM

ORIGINAL: blizzneck

has anyone heard of this??.A friend"heard" thatthe modlets too much oxygen into the engine (over-oxygenated) and this is harmfull in the "LONG RUN" of your engine life. Is it possible to have too much oxygen in the engine?? WTF, figures, I just did the mod two days ago. I can't imagine there being any advearse NEGATIVE effects to the engine or electrical components with this mod, but then again, I am far from being mechanically inclined.
I suppose one could argue that the open flap is less restrictive and allows more airflow than the ECU is expecting, which could cause a potentially harmful lean condition. The thing is, increase in air flow is small and the bike has a manifold pressure sensor so it should be able to make fuel delivery correction if needed. In all the flapper mod / dyno tests I've read about, I've never heard of any lean mixture issues attributed to the flapper mod. I am hands-down the most paranoid and **** retentive owner on the planet and I'm not worried about it.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:15 PM

From one paranoid and **** retentive owner to another thank you SD2007

Old 07-10-2007, 02:50 PM

if you do a baseline dyno run with an air fuel gauge you would see that the bike is stupid rich down in the low rpms anyway.

now consider that the flapper is only closed at low rpms

like i said after about 5500 rpms the flap is completley open letting air in like it isnt even there

now if you disable the flapper so it is open all the time the extra air will help to lean out the stupid rich fueling choking it

Old 07-13-2007, 10:40 PM

SoI Did the Flapper Mod yesterday, I did notice a better response in the lower rpm's and a slight growl comming from the intakeI suppose. Another thing I noticed was the temperature, When cruising at 5000 rpm's same road same gearI used toremain at184 degrees, after the mod I'mset at179-180 degreesand today was a lot hotter than yesterday. A lot of people claim that the flapper mod doesn't do anything really for power, but this dude actually dynoed the thing and it looks like a decent improvement http://www.hooliganbiketech.net/hond...lapperdyno.jpg

Old 07-14-2007, 04:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Pastrulo

SoI Did the Flapper Mod yesterday, I did notice a better response in the lower rpm's and a slight growl comming from the intakeI suppose. Another thing I noticed was the temperature, When cruising at 5000 rpm's same road same gearI used toremain at184 degrees, after the mod I'mset at179-180 degreesand today was a lot hotter than yesterday. A lot of people claim that the flapper mod doesn't do anything really for power, but this dude actually dynoed the thing and it looks like a decent improvement http://www.hooliganbiketech.net/hond...lapperdyno.jpg
yep that site belongs to speedy1000rr from 1000rr.net

and he has documented dyno proof that the flapper mod gives hp increases

Old 07-15-2007, 08:17 AM

The flapper is there just to pass noise emissions and the same for that padding on the inside of your fairings. Before a machine can leave the factory it has to pass two emissions tests, noise and exhaust. leave the flapper on the intake will be quite. Take it off and it gets louder. It will n ot harm the bike in any way if you remove it and the same goes with the reed valves on the valve cover all some known as a PAIR valve.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:16 AM

Whats a flapper? A-tech baby.[:@]

Quick Reply: flapper mod harmfull