1000 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 1000 models.

Drilled my exhaust. Not sure I like it.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drilled my exhaust. Not sure I like it.

So I drilled my exhaust out with one 1 1/4" holes on each side. Not sure I like it. Sure, it is a little louder and a little more low tone at idle but it cackles and pops too much. Kinda like a mega phone exhaust. Its OK if you are reving it up and miss behaving but at speed and cruising, I cant get over the popping noise.
So I was thinking, what if I stuffed a little bit of fiber glass exhaust cloth from my dirt bikes, down inside, just past the baffle I drilled through? Or just in the new holes. Not a bunch but just enough to reduce the flow through the new holes. I cant see that it would really hurt anything as long as I dint restrict any of the original holes.
If it doesn't work, I could just fish it all back out.
I just ordered a new Sargent seat so the new Devil slip on I really want will have to wait a bit. I think the popping will drive me crazy before then.
What do you think?

Roach

Old 06-30-2007, 09:35 PM
Default RE: Drilled my exhaust. Not sure I like it.

JB weld? Worth a try. I don't think I would stuff anything in the exhaust. That might just make things worse. If your holding out for a replacement you might try to find a factory exhaust off ebay for cheap until you get what you want or I've heard the flapper mod helps with the popping.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:15 PM

you do not want to stuff it with anything that is not metal......plastic, fiber glass, etc..ete.. it will give you a burning smell every time you stopp or idle. look for a stock pipe.

by the way....i have mine on my garage. !!!

Old 07-05-2007, 04:35 PM

is it popping when you get on the gas or let off of it

if the bike is popping when you let go of the throttle it is because the PAIR need to be removed

Old 07-05-2007, 08:36 PM
Registered Users

I drilled my stocker also and I'm nothappy with the sound. I think right around 4k is when the exhaust sound is most annoying. A few more weeks and I should be ready to order my new pipe! I can't wait.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:16 PM

Maybe instead of drilling the holes, you should have poured some water down the exhaust!!! LOL j/k

Old 07-06-2007, 07:08 PM

ORIGINAL: baxsom

is it popping when you get on the gas or let off of it

if the bike is popping when you let go of the throttle it is because the PAIR need to be removed
x2-phil

Old 07-16-2007, 11:24 AM

Maybe it's time to upgrade to an exhaust slip on or full ...[:-]

Old 07-22-2007, 08:41 AM

Yeah, I am just going to deal with the noise till I can afford a new Jardine or Devil slip on.

Oh course, I might try the water trick. It might muffle the poping and having a water cooled exhaust has got to sound good. More a gurgle instead of poping. [8D]

Old 07-28-2007, 02:26 PM

Ok, I'm willing to drill in order to get a couple of almost free horsies, but can someone post a pic of a happy owner succesful drill pattern? I just don't think that by drilling away at random will do it.

Quick Reply: Drilled my exhaust. Not sure I like it.