1000 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 1000 models.

Black Out

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 08:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Out

Alright, new project under way. Had the bike since last Monday, and starting to black it out. All stickers off besides tank (clear coated on). Whats the best/cheapest way for that to be changed? Just repaint in general? Black out covers for front and rear lights, where to find them? Black mesh screen for side openings of front fenders, where to go? Black heat sheild, orhigh temp paint it?Powdercoating forks, where to go, need some help in this if you can. Gonna be about a 2 month project on it, but results shall be nice. Already did the rear sets, and holy damn hell does it look clean!
Please help out in any way if you can.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:31 AM
Default RE: Black Out

id buy a race-body tank cover and have it painted.....Ebay the OEM to offset some of the cost

I saw some awesome mesh/decal type headlight covers...design's, plain and Eyes....pretty cool..ill dig around

I also remember some site with tinted/colored rear tail-lites with integrated signals...once again..ill dig around

So I take it you like black??? lol

Old 05-06-2007, 04:54 PM

Much appreciated Wolf. Black is not my favorite color, but when I picked up the bike (last Monday) it was the one that stuck out the most to me. Black frame, swing arm, paint...... Then I started pulling off the stickers and it just made it look that much more sexier of a bike (was a little suprised by that as well....). So slowly going to transform it.

Old 05-06-2007, 05:53 PM

just go buy some tint and black out the headlights, tiallight and wind screen your self. go buy some mesh and paint it black if you cant find black mesh that would cost maybe 10 bucks (home depot), 15 if you gota buy paint. 10 for the tint. they have high temp paint at auto zone, i believe the highest i saw was 2000 degrees, next down was 1200 then 500. any of those should do for the heat sheilds. thats another 10 bucks. you're on your own for the powder coating, the only good place i recommend is in cali. but everything else should only cost you about 40 bucks and some time.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:54 AM

This site has alot of information regarding powder coating, check the vendor section for TRG coating.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:52 PM

Im assuming you got an 07 because you have a black swingarm...(damn you!) Ive got an 06 and going a similar direction. The 06 Tank Covers didnt come clear coated, you can probably trade somebody straight across for an 06 tank and then just peel off those damn wings.

and for gods sake man get us some pictures.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:13 AM

Here is a pic of my 06 that I just got...blackin her out too. Had to do the Rear Sets, Swing arm, and NOS bottle. Thinking of a bolt kit and rear sprocket. I like it so far.

Name:  leftsmall.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  25.6 KBName:  rightsmall.jpg
Views: 1215
Size:  25.5 KB

No clear on the 06 tank cover thank God! Of course I had to pay for the swing arm...the tail light is smoked but not blacked out. Still need to do the heat sheild and maybe the levers and probably should switch to smoked front signals. Debating on the lower decals...kind of like them on.

What do you guys think?

Old 05-13-2007, 02:49 PM

tpgpz, good looking bike! I too like the black look. My 06' just did not look like with the stock gray/silver decals and mesh so I went with some red decals and accents.

How much did it cost to get the swingarm powdercoated, was it difficult to remove? I would like to get mine done this winter.

And +1 on the no clear coat on the 06' tank, I was very happy to see that!

Name:  after2.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  124.1 KB

Old 05-14-2007, 01:24 AM

Massive Props on the red highlights!!! I would not have thought of it and it is sick!

Swingarm is not that difficult. I have to admit that I cheated. I have a friend with a shop and he took it off. I am not totally sure if there is a special tool for it. I will try to find out for you. But my buddy assured me it was no big deal. You just have to be careful and pay attention. You probably already know this but you have to pull all the bearings out and tape off what you don't want coated. Of course you have to cut the master link in the chain and then press in a new one.

I paid $150 for the swingarm and another $75 for the rear sets including the shift linkage. I think the NOS bottle was only like $25...

Old 05-14-2007, 07:51 AM

Looks good. I am going a step further though "ladies" (speak that term freely, and figured it would get a little smile, hahah). I just got done, with re doing the rear sets, sprayed the heat shield, ripped off the stock top plastic piece covering the exhaust tip (looking for a CLEAN undertail kit or whatever the **** for the tail not gonna make one, TOOOOOOOOOOOOO tired of working with custom **** at the moment), painting the gas cap, levers (custom drilled to look like Pazzo's but better (aero space aluminum pieces I made (not cheap! Thank god I had metal laying around)). Soon to anodize the rotors (well the crown of them to black), then every little bolt is going black. (Can you say RUN ON SENTENCE!).

Who makes a clean undertail. I am going with the hex Akro, Sato, Arata slip. **** the Hamaguchi, sound like garabage, thats why Akro, love the growl.

Quick Reply: Black Out