1000 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 1000 models.

Air Filter for 08 CBR 1000...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Filter for 08 CBR 1000...

I am looking for more horsepower. The only thing I have done so far is a Yoshi Slip On.

I am looking to change the air filter and add a PC III.

K& N does not make an air filter for my bike yet, How are BMC Air Filters? Do they produce an increase in HP like K&N does?

Thanks alot guys.

Chris

Old 09-21-2008, 04:09 PM
VP
Default RE: Air Filter for 08 CBR 1000...

Ha funny, I just asked you on another thread if you already had a PCIII.

See the thing is, you can't just take a performance part out of the box and get horsepower every time...it depends bike to bike, elevation, other mods, etc...

Either K&N or BMC will probably provide better air flow which can improve horsepower...that being said if you take either straight out of the box and put it in the bike you run the risk of losing horsepower before you tune it. It has to do with the onboard computer, the expected Air to Fuel ratio, and other complicated things I know noting about...what I do know is that the only way to get a fair answer is to put the bike on a dyno and have a professional tune it to the exact map for your bike.

For example, one guy puts $1500 worth of air filters, full exhaust, and spark plugs into his bike then adds a PCIII then he takes it to a tuner and gets 10 HP out of it. Now you do the exact same mods to your bike and install the exact same map he put in his bike, and you lose 3 HP. This again goes back to the differences from bike to bike straight off the showroom floor. You decide to tune it at the dyno, and you get 11HP. You really don't know until you put in the time and money at the tune shop.

Now with all that in mind, you're probably spending between $200-$250 PER horsepower which you probably won't even notice on the street. If you really gotta spend the money, sure you'll get gains and bragging rights but honestly, it's a huge investment for something practically worthless to most people.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:06 PM

Thanks alot...with that being said, I probably will not even invest the money. I have never heard it put that way but it makesa ton of sense.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:24 PM
VP

no problem! enjoy your 08, it's a beast as is...140+ HP is plenty for a bike that weighs less than 380 lb

Old 09-21-2008, 11:33 PM

If you have the money, a power commander/ignition module and custom tunewith your slip on should not only add top end horsepower, but torque should jump also. The bottom end torque made it worth the money for me.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:48 PM

My bike has alot of torque already (your 08 did too huh?), it will power up in first while rolling at about 7 grand if I pull the throttle pretty hard. I would like the idea of it being a little stronger but it is not needed really.

To put the custom tune, the PC III and the airfilter will run about 700 bucks. I am almost certain I will get it done in the next month or so though.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:26 AM

I shouldhave been more specific. I can off idle from a stoplight now without a thought of r.p.m.And my 06 would power up at 3.5k with no mods.
The dyno pic (link below) is with twobros pcIII/ignition module, andflapper mod on 91 octane gas. I would like to see your base and final with the bmc installed.

http://webpages.charter.net/smkeifer

Old 09-26-2008, 07:34 AM

i have 2brosslip on with juice box and just added the BMC filter. i hope to get it dynoed very soon now...

Old 09-29-2008, 10:58 PM
Ara

I had my 08 1k tweaked and dyno'd by Rick Hobbs over at Erion Racing. Rick is Josh Hayes' crew chief. He knows what he's doing.
The bike dyno'd at 168.5 RWHP. I'm running Dunlop D211GP DOT race tires. Rick said the race tires actually give lower dyno numbers. If I left the Qualifiers on it'll show 175!
What I did to get these numbers: Full Akrapovic race system, PC3, Ignition module, BMC Race filter, and have Rick Hobbs do his magic.
That's over 190HP at the crank! Not too shabby.
I also lost about 15lbs removing the stock exhaust and ugly license plate holder.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:59 AM

Yo Ara, post the dyno, and pc3 map if you can. I would like to see where mine is lacking(air/fuel/ignition). DidErion Racing do the exhaust/pc3/filter install?
Did they say why a race tire would give 7HP lower numbers and how much the bmc filter would give the 08? Is it really that easy to fool a dyno? How many miles do you have on your bike and where do you notice the biggest change after the tune up?

Quick Reply: Air Filter for 08 CBR 1000...