1000 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 1000 models.

Advantage/Disadvantage of smaller front sprocket

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advantage/Disadvantage of smaller front sprocket

I have heard that going to a smaller front sprocket makes your bike quicker and easier to wheelie. I'm not sure about this so can anyone tell me what the deal is??!!?

Old 11-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Default RE: Advantage/Disadvantage of smaller front sprocket

I was told to think of it like a bicycle chain, the smaller the front sprocket the easier it is to turn the chain.

BUT supposedly the stock front sprocket is dampened and most replacements (If not all) are not dampened. Therefore you will get more lash with a smaller front sprocket.

Most around here go to a larger rear sprocket instead. -1 in the front = +2 in the rear. So you can go up two sizes in the rear and get the same effect.

Also you will lose top end with this mod but since most don't go up to 180 on a regular basis its usually not a big deal.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:45 PM

ORIGINAL: tomc1965

I was told to think of it like a bicycle chain, the smaller the front sprocket the easier it is to turn the chain.

BUT supposedly the stock front sprocket is dampened and most replacements (If not all) are not dampened. Therefore you will get more lash with a smaller front sprocket.

Most around here go to a larger rear sprocket instead. -1 in the front = +2 in the rear. So you can go up two sizes in the rear and get the same effect.

Also you will lose top end with this mod but since most don't go up to 180 on a regular basis its usually not a big deal.
i went to a 15t from a 16 tooth on my 06-this is the way the bike should have came from the factory-sure i lost a few mph on top end but who rides at 175? i used a driven sprocket-true it's not dampened like the oem- i experienced no lash-best mod for $30-get it from brad @ superbikesupply-phil

Old 11-11-2007, 08:20 PM

Dampened? I don't know what that means but I think I'll just leave it alone.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:22 PM

I think I'll just leave it stock, I thought you just simply changed the front sprocket -1 tooth. Thanks for posting you answered my questions. I don't want to risk "lashing".

Old 11-12-2007, 09:20 AM

There's no "lashing" or anything like that. You just get a little bit more vibration. Hardly noticable. I went down a tooth on my front a few thousand miles ago and love it! i noticed a little extra vibration for about 50 miles, but it was so minute that i quickly got used to it. Deff the best 30 bucks you can spend!

Old 11-12-2007, 03:18 PM

Sorry my bad. I read it on here somewhere that it vibrated more and the stock did not . I guess thats not the same thing.
I know many of you go for a -1 in the front and a +2 in the rear (At same time), or +2 to +3 in rear only, or -1 in front only.
Any reason for one over the other if the vibration is not bad? Is the only reason to be able to keep the stock chain?
Would going +1 in the rear do anything noticeable?

Old 11-12-2007, 04:24 PM

you wouldnt really notice a lot with just a +1 in the rear.
-1 in the front will change the gear ration like a +2.5ish in the rear supposedly.
popular is -1/+1 or +2 and going to a 520 pitch

vibration isnt so bad, the oem one is big and heavy (i lost a half a pound from oem to a 15T 520 one)
so it cuts down on any vibration. the new one will buzz you feet a little if you are wearing sandals or sneakers but I have never noticed any vibration in my Astar boots. a too loose chain will cause more lash than this mod.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:04 PM

Plus your speedo and odometer will be offabout 10% high with the gear change...so you need $100 for a Speedo Healer!!!

Old 11-12-2007, 07:16 PM

ORIGINAL: blas32

Plus your speedo and odometer will be offabout 10% high with the gear change...so you need $100 for a Speedo Healer!!!
then he already needs a healer-honda speedo's are off stock from the factory-i noticed zero vibration using a driven front 15t sprocket

Quick Reply: Advantage/Disadvantage of smaller front sprocket