1000 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 1000 models.

1988 drag bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2020 | 07:29 PM
|
Default 1988 drag bike

Hi, I've been searching high and low for answers and can't seem to find anything. I have a 1988 cbr1000f1 that I want to try and turn into a drag bike. I want to extend the swingarm and lower it to start. I know it's not a common bike to use or do this with but it's a project that I'd like to undertake. I've searched for any kind of swingarm extenders that would work with no such luck. I've also looked for a way to extend the tail to more of an arrow style and possible single seat it. If anyone has any kind of useful info I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 03-02-2020 | 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

I don't think there'd be an option to extend the swingarm using a bolt-on part. It's basically a piece of rectangular steel tubing, but it wouldn't be as simple as chopping/welding a section from a donor part in to make it longer as it'd probably be too flimsy to take the extra force without strengthening. It'd be possible to weld straps on each side, but it's a critical part so I wouldn't recommend that route unless you're really confident in your fabrication skills

If you wanted to lengthen it, I'd consider using an extended swingarm from a busa or some other commonly modified bike as a starting point, then trimming to fit (or ideally get a set of measurements for your bike, then try and find something with similar dimensions). Then you get the added bonus of being able to shoehorn a wider tire in - which would be more important for drag performance than lowering or lengthening anyway. These bikes run pretty skinny rear tires

Now it's not really that simple either, as you'd need to figure out centering spacers (easy enough) and rear monoshock placement (bit dicey) but if you're lowering it anyway then you can probably justify hitting two birds with rocks at the same time

Really these bikes already have a pretty long wheelbase and I have no trouble keeping the nose down in most riding situations. I would think she'd run 11's bone stock, which should be plenty fast for someone just getting into the sport. If it were me I'd put some serious rubber on that rear, try and squeeze a bit more hp out of that block, cut weight, and give 'er

As always the question is 'how fast do you want to spend?'

Last edited by tentacleslap; 03-02-2020 at 10:50 AM.