Road Racing Tell your stories here.

MotoGP 2014

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 01:34 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, they need to address the astro turf on the corners. That's asking for those kinds of accidents, even in the dry. Iannone's wreck was just like Hayden's in that corner last year, you could see Andrea think about it for a second, and then bail.... It's a shame

As for Dani and Marc, I don't know what the gap was, but surely after they had one lap in the real big downpour, they should have realized that coming in and swapping bikes wouldn't have cost them much time. They looked like they were taking some of those corners at 15 mph.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

definitely bad judgement from the repsols. but before the rain, it was real great to see lorenzo giving marquez a good run, he was letting marquez run away from him.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by sjona2011
definitely bad judgement from the repsols. but before the rain, it was real great to see lorenzo giving marquez a good run, he was letting marquez run away from him.
I chuckled every time Marquez passed Pit Lane and FS1 would show the Repsol garage with their hands up in the air looking very confused.

I understand the initial "I can manage this for 5 more laps" thinking that Dani and Marc clearly had. But you'd think they'd also understand that their tires would be so cold that even at the corners not really affected by rain, it'd still be useless. Plus, cold tears...

They paid the price for it no doubt.

It was a good return from Hayden though. Weather for sure played a roll in the success, but he finished without much pain - that's a huge positive considering the grapefruit he had for a wrist after Jerez.

Last edited by Conrice; 09-29-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:09 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Conrice
Yeah, they need to address the astro turf on the corners.
The problem is what happens when riders exceed track limits? A ride through or conceding a place isn't conducive to the racing IMHO and doesn't seem to work that well. But I agree, it's dangerous in the wet and maybe could be placed better.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:14 AM

Officially official.

Maverick Vinales and Aleix Espargaro to Suzuki for '15.

That's pretty sweet if you ask me! I like Mav - I hope he does well.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:44 AM
Old 10-11-2014, 11:01 AM

Go Danni! Go! Love it.

Was a good qualifying session for him, Marquez seemed to be struggling, but who knows, it's Honda's track so they may pull something out of the bag at the last minute and Dovitsioso on pole! Great boost for Ducatti, but I doubt he'll be able to keep it up over full race distance.

Rossi qualified well also, but looked as though he hit a bit of traffic, slowing him down on his fastest lap, so he might even have got pole if it had been a clear run.

Keeping my fingers crossed for good weather tomorrow, there's a typhoon on the way apparently!

Live coverage starts in the UK 02:45am, don't think I'll stay up to watch though But could make a nice Saturday evening for you US guys.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by hawkwind

Live coverage starts in the UK 02:45am, don't think I'll stay up to watch though But could make a nice Saturday evening for you US guys.
Yeah, unfortunately FS1 is not going to air it live as the normally would because its October (and thus baseball takes precident).

It's great for Ducati, but it won't transfer to the race. The tire rule goes both ways. The factory guys don't care too much about the extra motors and fuel because they know the open guys can't use tires that will go the distance and nor do they have the electronics to help the tires last when they do use the same tires (like at Motegi)

Hopefully they get rid of the tire rule. If they wanted to help the open class, they'd allow them to use any tire they wanted.

I didn't see any of qualifying, but I was surprised to see NH69 out qualify the other RCVrs considering the wrist.

Just saw WUP results, guess who's back? Marquez...

Last edited by Conrice; 10-12-2014 at 05:44 AM.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:27 PM

Yeah Hayden has been doing OK with that wrist, three bones removed apparently!

Not a bad race, though not as exciting as I was hoping for, at least Marquez didn't run away with it. He did well to get second, considering the week they've had and it's enough to win him the championship as well, so he's Honda's golden boy

Rossi had sparks flying out of the swing arm area on some of the tighter left-hand turns, commentator thought it was elbow slider with studs (illegal), but I managed to freeze frame a view from the rear and it was definitely not a slider, neither his knee or elbow were anywhere near the ground. Looked like part of the bike was grounding out.

Now the battle for second place could produce some good races, even Lorenzo is back in the running.

Phillip Island next week, so we won't have too long to wait.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:58 PM

hawk, I thought the commentators said sparks were from his toe slider?