New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New Midwest rider!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 04:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New Midwest rider!

Heyo everyone. My name is Patrick, and I just got a 2009 CBR 600RR to kick off an addiction that I know will grow. I have no experience with riding except the past 3 weeks of me riding around the neighborhood (With my permit, tags, DOT/SNELL helmet, gloves, jacket, stands, etc of course). I have the Illinois motorcycle safety course coming up in 3 weeks that I am signed up for, so I'm squared away on that.

With this being said, I am hooked! (I have to gush for a sec) The feeling of man and machine working together with the freedom of an open road... Exhilarating!

Anyway, what I hope to find here is some vets to give me incite on some things and maybe find some potential people to ride around with and work on bikes. I am VERY eager to learn, and immerse myself in the culture.

So, down to brass tacks, I have some questions (I could google it, but there's no fun in that).

1. Maintenance? I already completed my first oil change in record time (2.5 hours *cough*), but what about the chain, and other witchcraft that makes the bike go? I still see the mold line down the middle of my tires so that's good, but when should I get new ones?

2. Practice? I am practicing a lot of throttle control and a tiny bit of counter steering. First thing I noticed was that the throttle is very sensitive. So the question is, what should I be doing? Tips? Link Videos? Feed me your knowledge on what you did to become a proficient rider.

3. What are common mistakes for first riders that you see? What are some mistakes that you have made?

Thank you all for welcoming me, looking forward to this.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:48 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi there, welcome to the forum Patrick

Glad you're enjoying your bike, she looks like a beauty.

1. Maintenance. There are lots of 'how to's' just use the search button, or if you have a specific thing you need help with ask away.

2.Throttle sensitivity is because these are very fast bikes! Throttle control will be a skill you will learn with practice/experience, treat it with respect and you'll be fine, disrespect her and she'll bite your *** A good idea is to up-shift a little early, until you have learnt to control it.

3. Mistakes? Plenty:- overconfidence, riding too fast for the conditions, entering a corner too fast braking and sitting the bike upright.

Take things steady, if you try too hard too fast you'll loose confidence and tense up, not a good thing on a bike. The safety course will help you a lot.

Most of all enjoy it