CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Fuel Pump Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Issues

Hey guys, Just purchased a 49 State 2000 F4. It's been down hard atleast once. It is 100% set up for the track. Was running lean when I took it out to test it. Put in a Dyno Jet Jet kit and it runs nice and fat now. Here's the problem. When I turn the key on the fuel pump runs for about 1 second and shuts off. Bike fires up and idles until the bowls drain and it quits. Takes about 3-4 mins sitting on the stand. When I pull the fuse for the instrument cluster and lights the pump runs until the bowls are filled and the line is presurized. Put the fuse back in and it doesn't matter if the bowls are empty the pump only runs for about 1 second when I turn the ignition on.

Any ideas?

Old 02-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Default RE: Fuel Pump Issues

Check to see that the gas tank vent tubes arn't blocked.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:02 PM

Will do. Is this normal for the fuel pump though?

Old 02-04-2008, 07:35 AM

On my F4 when I first turn the key to run I hear the fuel pump come on for about a second and that's it, but my bike runs all the time so I have no idea what's going on whit your bike? It seems to me that the power is cutting off to it after the first turn of the key-strange?

Old 02-04-2008, 01:31 PM

take the tank off. on the back of the air box theres 4 little hoses that go from the carbs to the air box. there just block off's make sure there plugged in. i had the same problem until i discovered that. hope that can help ya

Old 02-04-2008, 11:14 PM

Thanks for your replys. The bike is in storage right now. I'll be rolling it back out this Sat to prep it for my track day the following weekend.

Think my best bet is to look at the vent tubes like Nauree sudjested. It was sitting for about 2-3 years full of race gas before I got it running agian. It was a gooey carmalized mess. Race gas does not age well. I cleaned out the tank, tank filter screen, carbs and fuel pump. I also changed the fuel filter. But I never thought to make sure those vent tubes were clear. I'll also check the hoses again for cracks and leaks (good tip Crazy).

I spent some time and studied the wiring diagram and it looks like the pump is on a short timer when you first turn the key on. It then turns the power to the pump on when you hit 20mph. The gound is running to a switch in the cluster that they marked "20KM/H". I guess this insures that the carbs don't flood over when your sitting still. So gravity is suposed to feed the carbs after that initial prime from the pump untill you are moving. Now that I've got it nice and rich, a small blockage in a vent tube could be enough to cause the problem.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:26 AM

ORIGINAL: Critter

Thanks for your replys. The bike is in storage right now. I'll be rolling it back out this Sat to prep it for my track day the following weekend.

Think my best bet is to look at the vent tubes like Nauree sudjested. It was sitting for about 2-3 years full of race gas before I got it running agian. It was a gooey carmalized mess. Race gas does not age well. I cleaned out the tank, tank filter screen, carbs and fuel pump. I also changed the fuel filter. But I never thought to make sure those vent tubes were clear. I'll also check the hoses again for cracks and leaks (good tip Crazy).

I spent some time and studied the wiring diagram and it looks like the pump is on a short timer when you first turn the key on. It then turns the power to the pump on when you hit 20mph. The gound is running to a switch in the cluster that they marked "20KM/H". I guess this insures that the carbs don't flood over when your sitting still. So gravity is suposed to feed the carbs after that initial prime from the pump untill you are moving. Now that I've got it nice and rich, a small blockage in a vent tube could be enough to cause the problem.
WOW I had no idea that the fuel pump did not run the whole time the bike was running-kinda cool and makes sense.