CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

F3 cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F3 cutting out

ok so my bike cuts out pretty bad if you ride it for about an hour. but if i pull over and kill it, wait a few minutes start it up and it will run fine again for awhile then repeats. anybody know what could be wrong with this thing?

Old 07-14-2010, 09:03 PM

after you pull over, open the gas tank and listen for air hissing out. if it is one of your vents is plugged and tank pressure is building and cutting off fuel supply

Old 07-15-2010, 10:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by willduce
after you pull over, open the gas tank and listen for air hissing out. if it is one of your vents is plugged and tank pressure is building and cutting off fuel supply
im pretty sure if the vent is clogged it is going to create a vacuum not become preasurized. if gas is flowing out of the tank into the lines and air cant replace the space taken up by the gas then its starts to create a vacuum. eventually the vacuum gets to the point where the fuel pump cant force gas into the system anymore, killing the bike. besides wouldnt tank pressure force fuel into the system??

i just had this problem with mine. here's the thread i started..might find some help there

https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f3-17/help-engine-randomly-cuts-out-dies-113343/

Old 07-15-2010, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.Green
ok so my bike cuts out pretty bad if you ride it for about an hour. but if i pull over and kill it, wait a few minutes start it up and it will run fine again for awhile then repeats. anybody know what could be wrong with this thing?

As will and dcaldwell have said it could possibly just be as simple as clogged tank vent line. I would try what willduce was saying with popping the cap and listening for any suction noise. If you hear it then you know the tank vent is clogged and needs to be cleaned.

If you dont, the list can go on and on. First thing we would need to know to help is how is it cutting out? Like just a bad miss then slowly sputters till it dies? Feel like its out of gas and bucking? Does it just shut off like you hit the kill switch?

Try what willduce said first and keep us updated and maybe we can get you going

Old 07-15-2010, 09:50 PM

i haven't got it out since i posted this so i still need to try popping the gas cap. but when it starts cutting out you can hold it wot and it wont rev out it stays around 3-4k rpm and if you pull in clutch it will die. one time i was cruising down the highway it started cutting out so i pulled in the clutch killed it while i just coasted for a minute, then started it up and it ran fine.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.Green
i haven't got it out since i posted this so i still need to try popping the gas cap. but when it starts cutting out you can hold it wot and it wont rev out it stays around 3-4k rpm and if you pull in clutch it will die. one time i was cruising down the highway it started cutting out so i pulled in the clutch killed it while i just coasted for a minute, then started it up and it ran fine.
Could be that the bike is already dead while its in gear and thats the only reason your at any rpms. Doesnt make sense though why it would only take a minute to start right back up. Doesnt sound like a tank problem to me.

I was having a simular problem on my bike a few weeks ago with it just randomly dying while riding. The bike would just shut down like it turned the key off at any speed. The lights were flickering at idle and the bike would start bucking and stumbling before it died.

The gauges, headlights, and taillight all would just shut off along with the motor. The battery was fully charged though and the bike would start right up a few sec later and sometimes while i was coasting to a stop i got it started and rode off.

On my bike it happened to be just a dirty connector on the starter relay. The red connector with 4 wires was full off gunk. I cleaned it and havent had a problem since.

I dont know if thats anything like your having but hope it helps

Old 10-09-2010, 03:42 PM

i cleaned the vent out it was completely clogged and it ran good for awhile but it started up again but now when it dies it has to sit for 5-10 min. before it will run again. could it be an ignition problem if one of the coils gets too hot it starts cutting out?