CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Valve Adjustment Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Adjustment Question

How do you know when it or if it should be checked? I have had the bike for about 3 months now. I have done a lot to it since I've had it. But I have yet to check my clearances.
When it gets a bit warm after riding for an hour or so it seems to idle a little bit high when sitting at a light. Would this have anything to do with valve clearance?
Also I still have a bit of hesitation under 3k rpms. Not good when rolling into low speed corners around town.
Any help will be appreciated.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds more like a carb adjustment to me. I have read several threads about valves still being in spec after 50,000 miles. Have you done a carb sync? Are you sure there's no fuel blockage? Have you done your air filter? Let's eliminate the easier stuff first.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:18 PM

Yes carb sync has been done, the air filter is clean, and the carbs were cleaned by my mechanic when I first purchased it.
I can always throw the carb sync back on and check it again. I have put only about 300 miles on it since we did the synch. At which time it was wayyy out of adjustment.

I was wondering if maybe the pilot screw (or air/fuel mixture) needs to be adjusted some.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:29 PM

When I rebuilt my carbs I found that one of the butterfly's had spun the metal where it pushes from the throttle linkage. If I'm not explaining it well let me know and I'll post a picture. This made it impossible to get the sync right as it kept moving.

I'm still struggling with my air idle screws but when mine were to lean the bike would stall when revved, and when they were to rich I could smell it. I'm not sure if this would effect idle only after the bike warmed up.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:41 PM

I had my carbs done. I'm gonna do them myself this next time so I will learn the detail of it all. I want to know my bike fully on own.
I just wanted to ride it is why I had them done the first time. I hate forking out money to not get a quality job. I can do that on my own for free.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:47 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

stock pipes or aftermarket ? if aftermarket chances are the high idle is from
a lean run condition and fairly typical -addressed through shims and or jetting

Old 08-14-2012, 07:57 AM

The bike is completely stock except for the windscreen and corbin seat I recently added.
When I got it, it only ran with the choke on. Now I'm just trying to get her fully dialed in which I know can take some time.
Thanks again for everyone's help.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:00 AM

If you have a low speed stumble I'd go for another carb cleaning with extra attention to the pilot jet/low speed circuit. They are very small passages and can have partial blockages from the smallest debries. Mine took two tries after the bike had sat for years.

How much does your idle climb when warmed up? A gain of 200+rpm from cold may be a little more than normal. I have about 100-150 on my '94 with all the stock set up including the emision control crap PAIR valves. I use 15w-50 oil so getting that warmed up will give me some idle speed bump. If a valve clearance is too tight it will increase idle as it warms up. How much would depend on how much compression is lost on the cylinder.
If you don't have 100 percent confidence in the bikes maintenance history, or suspect it's been thrashed alot, a valve lash check may save you a burnt valve/seat. Cheap insurance.
As stated they don't generally need alot of adjustment unless it spends alot of time at high speed or rapid engine accelerations.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:06 AM

The Idle only climbs about 150-200 rpm maybe. It's just when I come up to a light or stop sign I can hear it ideling a bit higher than normal.
I think you may be right on the pilot jet cleaning. I will try and do that myself here in the next couple weeks or so. I don't really have time to pull it apart at the moment.
Plus I don't want to be with out the bike. lol

Funny how fast one becomes addicted to riding their machine.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:32 AM
Default Pilot jet screw might need adjustment...

That is my guess. We just got an F2 that sat for a while. Had the stumble on roll on after a corner. I did 1/4 turn richer to the idle screws and it responds clean now. Not running without the choke is an indication the mixture is lean.

They are right about it not taking much to mess up the carbs....I had some stored bikes that were really really a pain to get running right again....The KTM took about 5 carb cleanings and a new tank...the Honda Hawk took 6 times removing and dismantling the carbs....flatslides that were a real bitch to cram on under the tank.....Very fussy things, carbs. They do not tolerate dirt. Don't forget the air bleed screws if you do another cleaning.
Don Hanson