CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Tips for removing air cleaner housing, please!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 12:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for removing air cleaner housing, please!

Not sure why the simplest things are the hardest to do.....

I am trying to get the carb bank out so I can clean the floats (as posted in a previous thread). However, in order to remove the carb bank I need to get the air cleaner housing out. It is hitting the frame towards the rear/back corners and the front of the housing is hitting the carb bank if I try to tilt the front up and remove it that way. I attempted to apply gentle pressure with a pry bar, but it is hitting solid on all sides. There is not enough give in the housing to 'squeeze' any particular corner/side to wiggle it out. I tried just removing the carb bank with the air cleaner housing still in place, but it has been awhile since it has been out so I need the 'wiggle room' that removing the air cleaner housing would allow. I had to walk away before I broke something.

Is there a trick that I am missing? The manual just shows loosening the appropriate clamps/hoses and lifting it out....which doesn't work. Not sure which I am going to run out of first.....patience or beer.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated....

Old 09-06-2010, 11:30 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, it takes some manipulation. The first time is the worst. If you loosen the airbox enough to move it back slightly.... then pry a bit... it should come loose. I can't remember if I pull the front or the back out first.
I do know it was a pain the first time, tho.
Make sure you have everything else disconnected, too. Sometimes the strangest things can be holding you back.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:52 AM

honestly when i took mine out with the method of 'pull harder'. its also one of the better reasons why it hasnt gone back in.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:05 AM

did you remove the two bolts that are holding the air box in place? They're hidden under some of the carb hoses that run along the airbox

Old 09-07-2010, 05:43 PM

Yes, everything is loose. It has play in all directions. The frame rails come over the top rear corners (both sides) by about 3/4" on either side. There is not enough forward space to move it clear of the frame in the back, there is not enough rearward space to allow me to move it back and tilt out the front side (the lower part which hits the fuel rail) and there is no way of 'rotating' it and taking it out at an angle. If the carb bank had been off recently then I could just loosen the clamps (which I have done), slide the hoses off and pull the bank with the air cleaner housing still in place. However, since the carb bank has not been off in awhile I need wiggle room to work it off, which means that the air cleaner housing has got to go.

It's the old chicken/egg argument.......

Old 09-07-2010, 08:06 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

4 Letters

FIYB ( **** it ya bastard ) ........and just keep on pulling shoving & wrestling with it.

Brute force and ignorance essentially the final action being when you do eventually get
it out ......... is to give it a whopping great kick across the garage floor to show that
POS who's Boss

Last edited by Sprock; 09-07-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:49 PM

I'm getting ready to go that route. If it wasn't up against the carb bank I would have already utilized the BFS to pry it out of there. Since Bio mentioned that his hasn't gone back in, if serious, is there a mod....similar to a cold air induction on a regular auto....that I could get in case I decide to take the sawz-all to the box?

Old 09-07-2010, 08:54 PM

IMO they breath better with the regular box .....don't do it !

Easier to put it in than take it out ! isn't that always the case

Old 09-07-2010, 09:05 PM

I guess I should give it some tequila first.....

Old 09-07-2010, 10:24 PM

No no no .......... you get the tequila first ......

Last edited by Sprock; 09-08-2010 at 02:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Tips for removing air cleaner housing, please!