CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

should I get a Blackbird?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 09:40 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should I get a Blackbird?

So after the past horrible winter my 1000f is finally 99% back to it's old self. I gave her brand new stainless exhaust, gaskets, coolant flush, cleaned up my stick coil wiring... I was even going to do a cam chain but my buddy (Honda certified mechanic) told me not to touch it, it's fine. Which it is, it's back to quiet once warm. Still have some new orings to put on my fuel screws but every day I ride her she's running better.

But it got me thinking. I've really been eyeing what Honda has to offer now, and fuel injection is very appealing to me. I love carbs and don't mind working on them but FI is just so easy. I was really considering a new CBR500r but I wouldn't be able to give up my 1kf for it. The power is just not anywhere near my 24 y/o machine. I decided I would settle in for another season on my old Hurricane since it really is the best bike I've ever owned and I couldn't think of anything better Honda's ever made. I'm sticking w/ that decision, at least for this season.

Then my buddy (Honda mech again) told me: "you know what you need? A CBR XX. The 500r is great but you'll never be happy after the 1000f". I thought that was silly at first. Next step is a 'busa and I just don't see myself on one of those. Next I'll trade off my truck for a dually f350 and start drinking Red Bull! (No offense to those who do, it's just not me! ) Then I looked up specs and I started realizing just how much the XX was my 1000f updated and improved in most ways. It's got fuel injection. It's slightly lighter. It has more power (not that that's necessary but it's cool). Granted it has a bit more forward lean but there are plenty of folk older than me putting serious miles on these birds. It really seems like another seriously capable touring bike that would fit me.

I guess what I'm getting at here is that I'm looking forward to another great year and then some on my F, and maybe a lot more. I really doubt I'll ever put this bike on Craigslist. One thing I would consider though is feedback from folk who ride both (I know there are quite a few of you on here) and if anyone is interested in a well cared for 1000f or has a well cared for 1100xx, hit me up! I realize there has been discussion on this in the past but I would really welcome fresh opinions.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:55 AM

I went from a 1991 CBR1000F to a 97 CBR1100xx ( I still wanted carbs )
I would like to have kept both but space and funds would not allow.

There are only three mods that I did for comfort and slightly better handling
1. Change the handlebars to those from a VFR800vtec
2. Add an MRA vario touring screen
3. Add a 6mm shim over the rear shock mount.

Now I effectively have a CBR1000F with warp drive that likes to play in the twisties.
The Blackbird is now almost identical in riding position to the 1000F
It still does up to 200 miles on a tank ( something the Fi Blackbirds will not )
And the turn in and handling are great for a tourer.

What you will not like compared to your 1000F is the headlight.
Unless you convert to a HID system ( cheap enough to do ) the blackbird headlight is know to be pathetic.

What is easier/better
Cam Chain tensioner is a 15 minute job to change
The CBS brakes are a little easier to bleed than those on a 1000f

What to look out for
Blackbirds seem to like a cam chain tensioner every couple of years
They also seem to have an appetite for R/R
The injection bikes have a LOOM FIX that needs to be done or the corrosion ends up causing all sorts of electrical gremlins.

Do I regret changing ? - Not one bit - love the blackbird
Would I have another ? - if the need to change came up - Yes - no hesitation

Old 05-09-2014, 06:05 AM
Welcome Crew

Thanks for the reply Dean, sounds like good stuff. I'm surprised to hear you say the carb version got better mpg than the FI?

Cam chains and r/r's all sound par for the course, it is a Honda after all! I did a new stator/upgraded r/r on mine last year. Good to hear you got yours to your desired level of comfort. Sounds great

Old 05-09-2014, 10:51 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thedrewski86
I'm surprised to hear you say the carb version got better mpg than the FI?
The original carb version of the BB is more powerful then the FI version.

Mind you I would have thought maybe a power commander or something like that would change the power level of the FI bike.

Maybe Dean0 can shed some light on that?

Old 05-09-2014, 09:07 PM
Welcome Crew

Good point there hawk, although to be fair I think the power would be fine as it is. Still a bit more zip over the F which isn't slow anyway.

I've always been wary of the "first gen FI" on any bike. They have a tendency to be a bit choppy and unrefined. I'm thinking of Suzuki's TL in particular.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:37 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know what you mean about first generation, but it was a long run with the first B'Birds, I think they got it pretty much spot on, fist time out of the box.

In many cases the introduction of FI was because of tightening of emissions restrictions around the world. Reading early FI'd bike reviews, the early FI systems were often snatchy and power delivery not as smooth as the previous carb'd versions. If you were to go for FI, it might be an idea to look at later bikes.

But the guys that know best would be on the dedicated BB forums, if you were seriously looking for one, I'd definitely ask questions on one of those forums.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:31 PM
Senior Member & can cook minute rice in 58sec

do it, can't explain why, itz s e x u a l ,,,,,,, just do it.
it's like comparing your last girlfriend, but this one is your **** buddy, and just a little kinky.

when you get old and soar after she is done with you,, buy a Pan.

roflmao

Old 05-15-2014, 10:32 PM
Welcome Crew

You know it's crazy the more I look at practical FI bikes that fit my needs (sv650s, vfr 800, the new cb1000 and vfr 1200) I get that feeling that I should go for the odd and crazy! I guess the Blackbird isn't that crazy but man they're fast, what a machine. I've always had a pull towards the old tl1000 widowmaker too... but that does NOT fit my needs at all! Good thing the 1000f is treating me right, I'm hoping to get some miles on her Saturday.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:00 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Deano's on the money - the 97 carb'd ones being my choice too. I'd say if you find the
"one" drop the hammer on it asap.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:32 AM
Welcome Crew

While I agree the carb models seem to be the pick, the whole reason I'm considering a XX is the fuel injection. Regardless of the year it's still lighter and more powerful than the F.

Quick Reply: should I get a Blackbird?