CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Rear suspension Linkage bolt diameter

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 04:37 AM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear suspension Linkage bolt diameter

Guys,
I've at last got round to some rear end jobs (f'nar) which have started flashing red lights and sounding WW 2 style sirens in my head every time I ride.

1. New chain and sprockets
2. New exhaust system
3. Overhaul and check rear suspension

One of the symptoms I'm seeing is slightly excessive play in the swing arm when the wheel is off the ground. Clearly visible when torquing the rear axle nut. It's about 8-10mm measured at the end of the swing arm (this is a guess not having actually set up a reference point). This represents un-sprung play in the linkages.

I have two identical dog bones, shocks and bolt sets and they are both displaying the same-ish tolerances between bush ID and bolt OD.

Here's the quandary- the bush is approx 10.15 ID, the bolts approx 9.92 OD. That's a bloody big tolerance in my opinion.
Has anyone got experience with this issue. Have you changed the bolts for new Honda parts and improved the situation so much that there's no unsprung play at the swing arm at all?

My question is- what diameter should the linkage bolts and top shock moaning bolt be (according to Honda spec)?

I'm not changing the swing arm or any other of the needle roller sets in the dog bone before you all go on at me. That's a next year job.

......off to the local chandlers to see if I can find any true 10mm OD bolts. In the mean time I'd love your thoughts.....

Cheers
H

Old 02-22-2014, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Can't help with specifics Henry - but my head tells me that is waaaaaaaaaay too much play.

I'll do a search and see what I can find.

Might be useful http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CBR1...-/120972254138

Cheers, SB

Last edited by Sebastionbear1; 02-22-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:28 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Seb,
very kind of you to find that for me but I already have a spare. They all look pretty crap before their time. Bad plating on a component supposedly designed for the harshest existence. Ho hum....On the upside needle bearings and moving parts are all machined to Honda's exacting tolerances.

So, I put it all back together after drawing blanks on all avenues explored to find actual 10mm bolts. No joy.
The bearings were all greased and well packed having cleaned them thoroughly. All bolts torqued up and voila, almost no play at swing arm end at all. I can't help wondering now whether Honda allowed for a film of lubricant on each bolt shaft. Hmm.......

The point is I suppose, why go buying new bolts when they'll be exactly the same diameter as the one's you're replacing?

I'll let you know how the new exhaust system sounds tomorrow. The Sandy bikes headers are a real work of art.

My question still stands though. Let's clear this one up ASAP.