CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Improving cornering

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Improving cornering

hi lads,i need some help on this one??how can i make my cbr1000f-m higher on the rear end???

Old 09-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Default Raising the rear end on cbr1000f

Forget all the nonsense on here with regards to wobbles/tank slaps? hitting the swingarm and exhaust hitting problems etc etc etc.If you want the ride height increased on your cbr to improve handling/ground clearance then this mod is the 1 for you.Firstly remove the whole exhaust system includeing both endcans from the bike for access,now Remove the dogleg at the bottom of the suspension coil.This is the 2 bars that run along both sides of the spring.Drill a new hole at 3 quarters of an inch inwards from the original hole.cut off the original hole leaving yourself a nice rounded end.Now refit the dogleg back onto the bike.With the exhaust system on the floor you will notice a collectorbox or balancer box (also known as) At the end of the down pipes they join from 4 to 2 pipes then through a box.On this box you will notice a slight groove for clearance from the bottom of your suspension spring.Now carefully use a rounded hammer and flatten this groove,This will now give the clearance you need from the suspension spring.Now offer up the right hand side silencer into the main exhaust,you will notice that the inside of the silencer now touches the swing arm.mark where this touches and carefully make a small groove with your hammer,quarter of an inch is perfect.Job done.the right side now clears easily and cannot be seen.The right side needs even less of a groove.height now 3inches higher and believe me what an improvement on handling and ground clearance.Zero stability issues at all speeds.(AND I MEAN ALL SPEEDS)cornering is improved 100%.Of course you can simply buy a 4 into 1 system with no need to mod the original cans if you wish?.
Time for mod (2hrs) and well worth it.The centre stand is still usuable after this mod but the side stand will have to be extended due to the height increase.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:48 PM

Forget all the nonsense on here with regards to wobbles/tank slaps
Really? Nonsense? your second post and your already diss'n the forum? there are many people on this forum who live motorcylces, and fully understand how they work. I wouldn't exactly call their experience nonsense.

how can i make my cbr1000f-m higher on the rear end???
Whats the reason you want to raise the rear of the bike?

Old 09-15-2010, 12:58 PM
Default raising rear

simple,raise the rear sharpen the steering and improve the already low ground clearance on the cbr1000f.
These bikes are terrible 2 up for clearance cornering (well known fact)
It seems to me that there are 2 many anaraks on this site.firstly they ask a question and then start to question other members replies.i appreciate there are a lot of knowledgable members on here but there are also a lot of dins mate.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:38 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmmmmmmmmm
I'll be keen to see where this one goes.
Let's keep negativity out of it , OK

I have two questions
1 How much height improvement does the change give you ?
2 Can you not leave the original hole in the suspension in case you want to return the bike to std settings ?

Why would you want to put more weight on your wrists ? These are touring bikes, not superbikes. Most people on this forum seem to be happy with the bikes as they are..................

Why not just drop the front forks 10mm in the front yoke.....? I've not had suspension problems with my bike whether one or two up at any time.......

And while I've only had mine for 6 years and over 50000 miles and surely don't know all there is to know about them, maybe I just don't ride it fast enough.....................to do more than scrape both sides of the exhaust shrouds on occasion.....one up. And my bike will only do 260KPH over 11 kilometers - average , so maybe I'm just too slow.

QUOTE "It seems to me that there are 2 many anaraks on this site.firstly they ask a question and then start to question other members replies."end QUOTE
And I always thought that discussion and questions was how one learns and understands others ?

The use of the term anarak makes me think you must be from the UK......if you'd fill in your personal info we'd all be better informed.......
Hmmmmmmmm I thought the demerit system and the weather kept most of you indoors (sorry Hawk and other long time members from England)
Clearly wrong again................

Oh and I moved your post here to give you more exposure.

Last edited by Shadow; 09-15-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:39 PM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

I think you'll find it's anorak (but I guess that makes me one too), but what the hell is a din?

Old 09-15-2010, 11:22 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think one is an article of clothing for bad weather, the other is (miss)spelling.
As for a din - ? Perhaps a noise (maker) of some kind - a bit derogatory in any even , I suspect.....maybe our friends in the UK can enlighten us "furriners" from the Colonies

Old 09-16-2010, 02:15 AM

Hi,let's start again.I do not mean to offend but when 1 member sends me a threatening email it becomes very hard to keep your cool.shortening the dogleg improves the handling of the bike so much its unreal.yes you could drop the forks but all you are doing in decreasing the already low ground clearance.I have not done this mod to ride faster,it has been done to improve handling/ steering.yes I am from England.you will have to cut the dogleg which will not allow you to return to normal posistion.once you have done this mod you will not want to return the ride height back to normal.you will gain 2 inches on the rear without upsetting the already super stable Cbr1000f.thankyou.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
I think you'll find it's anorak (but I guess that makes me one too), but what the hell is a din?

TK. I think your spelling is correct. I haven't worn an anorak myself for a number of years. In fact it would have been at about the age of eight when I last used the word "din". From memory it means somebody dim witted, foolish, bordering on retarded. When uttered it was often followed by inserting one's tongue in the bottom lip and pushing outward, whilst making a dumb ar5ed noise.

Hope this helps.

darkar26. Whilst your modification might suit you, it probably isn't for all of us. For instance, I have a steep, rutted dirt driveway about 200m long followed by 1km of sh!tty dirt road before I get to the blacktop.

I'd also suggest that you direct your angst (justifiably, by the sound of it) to the person who sent you the email, not the other fine people who frequent this great forum. Some of the "anarak" wearers you refer to have helped many people here with both bike and personal issues. Ride safe

Last edited by davethepom; 09-16-2010 at 02:59 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:43 AM

ok my two cents

Why raise the back suspension, i thought of it and said, no, i never ran out of clearance although the souls of boots scraped the pavement once or twice (anyway maybe more). The only mod i did was to put bigger rear wheels, and beleive me chichen strips are very thin and ii never scraped anything...i Run a 180 in the back. so why change that, why weaken a part putting a whole in it?, cause we all know that engineers are bulding parts ith certain designs and reinformnet in it. it could run to failure. Those bike wchich the frame runs back to 80,s are all made low, you don't sit on top you sit in it, that is why you feel it is low. I was comparing to my friend's interceptor, clearance is the same, and up to now when i ride with my buddies, never had an issue following them in the twisties, yes bikes are getting better but the rules physics are the same so the pilot makes the difference. As for me i will invest in stiffer sping and abetter shock.

Thank you!

het Shadow summer comming? us it,s the other way around.. frooze my ba... the other morning!

Quick Reply: Improving cornering