CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Help me plz

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 03:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Help me plz

Hi all , this must be the forum for me , ill start by telling u people that im from Denmark, Europe . so i might be hard to understand

i have a cbr 1000 f from 87 , and something is talking i my engine , it might be the Cam Chain Tensioner many of u guys talk about ..

my brother in law will help me, but do i have to change the cam chain and the tensioner or is the problem almost always the tensioner alone.

the reson i ask is that if it is the tensioner only i dont have 2 pull out the engine ... but if u guys think its always bouth that need to be changed, the engine must come out... and that is more work and more money ....

one more thing , where do u guys shop for spare parts....

hope u will help me , i will work on it next week

Old 07-01-2010, 08:49 PM

You have to realize that these cam tensioner works by hydraulic pressure, when they put the orginal CBR out , so until you the oil chamber is filled with oil when you start the engine you might hear some camchain noise,. Now, if you bought the bike second hand, was the cam chain ever changed, intervall is at 72000kms. Also Honda did redesign the part and the plunger or oil chamber is now longer putting a stronger pressure on the cam chain, verify this and put the revised part with new chain guides. And also important run the bike with 15w50 , thicker oil help building pressure. I know I start mine, and it makes noise for 30 secs to 45 seconds when idle and as soon as run a bit no more noise, and no the engine is still cold , so it is the same thing as my last car who had a similar design. Changing the tensionner is about 2-3 hours if you do it very slowly and precisely, synchronizing the carbs ,play a big role too.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the Forum and the Hurricane section.

You should replace both chain and tensioner and NO you do not
have to pull the engine or split the engine case .......follow this
thread by MIchaelParks for all the info on doing it !

wemoto in the UK is a good source for the required parts

Enjoy the forum and post up a PIC of your Danish Hurricane

Last edited by Sprock; 07-01-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:15 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ Yeah, what sprock said.
Plus.... how many kilometers are on your bike, Christian?
Also, what does the engine noise sound like? Is it all the time or just does it go away when the bike is warm?

Old 07-02-2010, 05:32 AM

Hi all , Thanks for the help so far .. i did found out that i dont have to pull out the engine , that is great, and the trick is easy it seems ..

Dragon > i have no idea if it was ever changed, but my bike has run 69000km, i now run 10w40 and wil next time bye 15w40 , Super thanks nice thread !! and pic of my Danish Hurricane come soon .

Kilgore> its a little ratling, and only when cold or if im doing 2500 - 3000 in 2-3 gear

this morning i went to a guy that wonted to hear the engine , he said it is Nothing , the engine run perfect ! he wouldent do anything but turn the "backlash adjustment " a little bit when its cold - 35 c / 95 F - he also said to me that this bike has 4 chains and i will make some noise when its cold...

do u guys no about this ? it on the left side of the bike, and easy to fix with a scruedriver ... i have ask and read a lot but he is the first to tell me, i will try this

Sprock > that is great, some Dane told me tha same last night

Old 07-02-2010, 06:17 AM
Ride of the Year ... Just Ask The Boys

Guy's,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news....But

Before my rebuild i had noticed a much increased noise in internal chain rattle, which i put down to cam chain.
It was in fact the starter damper giving out allowing less tension on the alternator chain and creating the rattle (I am assuming).

This noise may be put down to the cam chain so be careful..

Aussie Johnno

Old 07-02-2010, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by ChristianM
Hi all , Thanks for the help so far .. i did found out that i dont have to pull out the engine , that is great, and the trick is easy it seems ..

Dragon > i have no idea if it was ever changed, but my bike has run 69000km, i now run 10w40 and wil next time bye 15w40 , Super thanks nice thread !! and pic of my Danish Hurricane come soon .

Kilgore> its a little ratling, and only when cold or if im doing 2500 - 3000 in 2-3 gear

this morning i went to a guy that wonted to hear the engine , he said it is Nothing , the engine run perfect ! he wouldent do anything but turn the "backlash adjustment " a little bit when its cold - 35 c / 95 F - he also said to me that this bike has 4 chains and i will make some noise when its cold...

do u guys no about this ? it on the left side of the bike, and easy to fix with a scruedriver ... i have ask and read a lot but he is the first to tell me, i will try this

Sprock > that is great, some Dane told me tha same last night
15w50 you need to put, I changed only the tensionner, and mine does rattle until the pressure builds up, i would try this before, if it continues, change it. My 88 has 130000kms and yes rattle for 45secs to a minutes then goes away. it is part of the hydrulic tensionner system, there is no oil in the tensionner chamber when you start the motor, it has to fill up to give maximum pressure, i had a bit of that discussion with Shadow a year and half ago and we came to conclusion that the thickness of the oil helps building that pressure faster.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:34 AM

okay i go get it then . s

Old 07-07-2010, 09:07 AM

i cant find the BACKLASH ADJUSTMENT , can some one send me a picture or something

Old 07-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On the right side, low down - where's Trout - he did it with pictures - here you are Christian
https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-tos-81/balancer-adjustment-107818/

Oh and you don't have to remove the engine for the tensioner or the chain replacement- DID make a camchain with a link, so it's much easier....
Welcome to the forum !

Last edited by Shadow; 07-07-2010 at 11:31 AM.