CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Fuel leak due to storage

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel leak due to storage

I finally decided to get the bike out--long story why I haven't ridden in awhile. 1996 CBR 1000F. Bike starts, idles rough, but the main problem is fuel is pouring (literally) out of what appears to be an overflow tube originating (as best I can tell) between the #3 & #4 carbs. Overflow tube ends below the air cleaner housing and above the coolant resevoir. I'm guessing that one of the carbs is stuck and fuel is backing up, but there is a lot of fuel dumping out of this hose.

Any idea what the problem may be and, most importantly, how do I fix it?

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-05-2010, 10:39 AM

If fuel is dumping out all the time (running or not), the problem is the petcock on the tank.

If fuel only pours out when running, the problem is the carbs. Shut fuel off (duh), remove tank, pull back air box, remove carbs, remove float bowls, clean all 4 carbs (most likely float valves not sealing properly)

Old 09-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If fuel is dumping out all the time (running or not), the problem is the petcock on the tank.

If fuel only pours out when running, the problem is the carbs. Shut fuel off (duh), remove tank, pull back air box, remove carbs, remove float bowls, clean all 4 carbs (most likely float valves not sealing properly)
Yep. Most likely a float valve sticking or possibly a float filled with fuel and sinking.
It's really not that hard to remove the carbs on these bikes, which is a major plus.
You should try removing them from a magna V4.
It makes the CBR seem like a walk in the park with a hot chick.

Here's what you're looking to do:

These are the carbs once pulled and sitting on the seat:

Name:  IMG_0311-1.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  111.0 KB

Here's where they need to come from:

Name:  IMG_0313.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  112.4 KB

Here's the carb bank:

Name:  IMG_0294-1.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  88.1 KB

Here's a pic of a float (the white thing). What you want to do is remove the floats (pull the pin that holds them in). When you pull out the float, the valve will come out with it. What you want to do is clean the float valve and shake the float to make sure there is no fuel in them. In order to "float" they can't be full of liquid.
Also, you will want to check the float heights and set them to spec. All you do is measure the height and then bend the tabs on the float where they contact the valve stem.
Looking at this picture, you can really see what could be happening with your carbs. The fuel flows from the tank, down through the little float valves and into the bowls. When the fuel level in the bowls gets high enough, it pushes the float against the valve and stops the flow. If the valve sticks, the flow continues and then fuel runs out the vent (the plastic "t" in the top left of the picture).

Name:  IMG_0300-1.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  61.1 KB

If you need any help, shoot me a PM. I can give you some pointers if you like.
Also download a manual if you don't already have one. HERE is a download.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:37 AM

Thank you! PM on the way with some follow up questions.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:06 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by donles316
Thank you! PM on the way with some follow up questions.
Question #1, Where did you get that screwdriver?
Question #2, When did Craftsman start making orange screwdrivers?
Question #3, Does that orange Craftsman screwdriver come in a set with other orange screwdrivers?
Question #4, What do you think would happen if you used some of that WD-40 (in the first photo) on that orange screwdriver?

Old 09-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
Question #1, Where did you get that screwdriver?
Question #2, When did Craftsman start making orange screwdrivers?
Question #3, Does that orange Craftsman screwdriver come in a set with other orange screwdrivers?
Question #4, What do you think would happen if you used some of that WD-40 (in the first photo) on that orange screwdriver?
He did thats why it is orange...

Old 09-06-2010, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo

Do you mean on the rust or the handle?

Poor guy just tries to help somebody and look what happens...I love it here.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:19 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Nice photos Dyl. Anyone reading this thread now will only think of Orange screw drivers.
I think what everyone seems to have missed here is the highly unfashionable yellow and red plug arrangement in the foreground. How could you? That's just so tasteless. Yeuch!

Old 09-06-2010, 08:33 PM

donles316,

I feel I must apologise for the disgraceful behaviour of a few members hijacking this thread just to pay out on one of our mods...

So Henry, what are we calling it? 8 or 9 out of ten for content, but only 4 or 5 for composition? Would've been higher from me except for the blue bag next to the red fuel container then the yellow bag or rag thing . He'll probably ban us in a minute as soon as he's done playing with some spam.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:08 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LMAO! I love it. It's about time you stiffs started having some fun.

That goshdam orange screwdriver got me again, didn't it?
Ya know, I just bought a brand new set of craftsman screwdrivers on friday, too.
Seriously, I did. That particular one spent a good bit of time in the yard thanks to the kids. (they probably needed a pointy implement to help them destroy something else of mine.. lol)

Check this out! Nice and shiny!

Name:  0906102351.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  57.7 KB

Yeah... what now about my screwdrivers? And they've all been treated with Eezox to keep them from rusting.

Oh, and to keep this informative.... the rifle shells at left are used to adjust the "D" shaped A/F screws on the carbs. 5.56 NATO is the best caliber. Simply bend the business end into the "D" shape, screw them out, then hit the screwheads with a dremel to carve a notch for a regular flathead screwdriver.

I think what everyone seems to have missed here is the highly unfashionable yellow and red plug arrangement in the foreground. How could you? That's just so tasteless. Yeuch!
I can assure you that multicolor is "in" here in the states.

I thought the "GO AWAY!" welcome mat was a nice touch myself.

Last edited by kilgoretrout; 09-07-2010 at 09:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Fuel leak due to storage