CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Fuel Additive/Carb Cleaners

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Additive/Carb Cleaners

Hi guys,

Thinking of running some fuel/carb cleaner through my gas tank. Been looking on various posts and was just wanting to get some feedback on what the forum members find the most effective. My idling could be a bit smoother. I know the RIGHT thing to do is strip the carbs down and give them a thorough clean. I work 2 jobs and have a young family so finding the time to do stuff right is often against me (Can't wait till I retire and enjoy my bike properly!!, only 25 years to go!!). I have had the carbs off and the air side is all clean, just wanting something suited more to the fuel side.

I have a choice between Seafoam, MMO, Chevron Techron. They are all available in the UK at inflated costs but that does not really concern me as long as I get a good result. There may be other products that do the job better although I am not really into blending my own recipe as has been suggested on some forums

Cheers

Old 05-28-2013, 03:55 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran Redex for a while as a stop-gap with, shall we say, mediocre results.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but really. there's no substitute for a proper clean.

Believe me, it's not as bad as you might think. Having done it a couple of times, I can have the carbs off in 10 minutes on a bad day and back on in the same. Another ten minutes per carb to clean them properly and in total that's just 1 hour. So for your first time triple that and it's an afternoons work and well worth the effort.

Of course use anything you like as a stop-gap, but you'll have to do it sooner or later. So why not make it sooner and enjoy the smooth throttle respose that you know you'd rather have

However to answer your question, Seafoam seems to be the additive with the best results on this forum, but as you will know, in the UK it's very expensive!

Old 05-28-2013, 10:39 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with 'Hawk on the rebuild/cleaning, but I also know your story.

Religious use of Seafoam and the best petrol. Then go out and give her the Italian tune-up regularly can keep you running alright

Old 05-29-2013, 01:44 AM

I used that spray seafoam with the long straw, I sprayed it directly into each carb through the air box while the bike was running. It worked so well the stuff that what it released gummed up my choke system. I just sprayed the choke bar with WD40 and worked it into there by moving it back and forth several times, works great now.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f...1995-a-136612/

Old 05-29-2013, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteHawk
I used that spray seafoam with the long straw, I sprayed it directly into each carb through the air box while the bike was running. It worked so well the stuff that what it released gummed up my choke system. I just sprayed the choke bar with WD40 and worked it into there by moving it back and forth several times, works great now.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f...1995-a-136612/
No issue with the air side, I have had the carbs off and freed up the butterflys and slides with WD40 like you suggested. I am looking for something on the fuel side (i.e in the tank) because I don't want to strip down the jets etc. I've came this far in that I have got it running after 8 years in storage so don't want to tempt fate.

Cheers

Old 05-30-2013, 09:46 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

8 years - chances are the tank will need some attention unless it was stored in a
climate controlled museum

Old 05-31-2013, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Sprock
8 years - chances are the tank will need some attention unless it was stored in a
climate controlled museum
Tank was OFF the bike and completely empty. Bike was in a heated house (yes, true)

Old 06-02-2013, 04:09 PM

Lurkin..

I was out on the F yesterday (and holy hell, it punts at a tremendous rate when you pin the trottle in 3rd gear..) but the only piece of service history I'm missing is carb work.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:27 AM

Over my 46 years of riding I have tried all kinds of in the tank carb cleaners. To date, Seafoam works pretty well. But even better, I've found that Lucas injector cleaner works best at the best price. I use 1 oz. per 5 gallons in the tank. It perks up even old crappy motors like my lawn tractor that is just about worn out.
It deffinately helped my '97 Maxima. Went from 22mpg to 25-26mpg after the injectors were cleaned.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:21 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kent ONE SHOT spray, although not a fuel additive, get the carb battery off, flip it, get the bowls out, spray liberally through the jets, put back together. Took one hour off your life. I`m pretty much at your situation and managed to do it after I tried Pro Honda Fuel stabilizer and, STP complete fuel system cleaner, nothing.

If you decide to do it (and you should) beware, it`s pretty potent stuff, don`t let it on paint, rubber seals or your clothes.

Quick Reply: Fuel Additive/Carb Cleaners