CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

CBR 1000F 1988 ECU-CDI Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR 1000F 1988 ECU-CDI Question

Hi all.
A friend and I both run 87-88 Hurricane 1000's. He thinks that he has a failed or failing ECE,CDI,Ignitor Box.The manual says its Honda dealer test only (If someone knows different I would be glad to hear how to) That aside he is looking to replace the unit 2nd hand,now for the real question.Does anyone know if the later model Black Box units will work on an early bike, maybe after changing the plug on the loom? All advice gratefully received
Oh before someone suggests swapping mine onto his to diagnose the problem we are 200 miles apart or I would . lol
All the Best

Sparks

Old 04-15-2013, 04:25 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sparks - I believe the Mk2 & Mk3 (1989 - > ) can be changed as they use a single
pulser for spark control .

The MK1 on the otherhand has two pulsers at the crank so I 'm thinking you'd be
safest to get a Box from a Mk1 (87-88)

Oh and welcome to the Forum too Mate !

Old 04-15-2013, 04:36 PM

Hi Sprock, thanks for the quick response.
I was unaware of the pulsar difference from early to later models,what you say makes perfect sense now you have said. Sod's law,here in the UK (not sure where you are) I've a choice of half a dozen Mk2-3 ECU's on Ebay ,starting @ £25 only 2 Mk1's @ around £100 .
Personally I', unconvinced that the ECU is his problem , but that's the route he has chosen........
Thanks again.
Sparks

Sprock , you seem far more knowledgeable on this than me. I assume Honda saw a benefit in performance using one rather than two pulsars .Do you think it poss to upgrade,do you think there would be a benefit ?
Just seen I'm, a "Junior" Member @44yrs I like that :-), been a while since Ive been Jr ! Ha Ha !

Old 04-16-2013, 04:42 PM

Not easily I'd stick with the MK1 Box "if" the ECU is the problem.

You chaps sure the Regulator / Rectifier is not the issue ?????

Oh and I'm in Maine USA these days - sometimes elsewhere though.

& Sparks Mate - another 97 posts and you'll be a respected senior member

Old 04-17-2013, 07:02 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have two spare ECU's - not sure how to tell if one of them will work or not.
Does anyone have part numbers or are the connector plugs different or something between Mk1 and Mk2/3 ?

Gladly send you one for the price of postage - but remember I can't test them, so what you see is what you get.................

Old 04-17-2013, 08:37 AM

Thanks for thwe kind offer Shadow, he already jumped in and purchased one from Ebay.

Sprock.
As I said I', not convinced that is is his problem myself. But, he has limited knowledge and a mind of his own,I can only guide him,what he actually does is down to him.Very frustrating at times as he goes off on tangents.
The whole thing started with a starting prob. He did follow my advice and repair the starter clutch which cured that prob.While the carbs were out he decided to strip n clean them. He used too much instant gasket (even after being warned against it ) when reassembling it. Then it would'nt start n run. Carbs off again to inspect and clean out the blockages. Once all put back together n taken out on the road it developed an intermittent fault. He said it would just die on him whilst riding, then as he coasted to a hault it would pick up and run fine again.
Before he recognised that he had blocked the carbs with instant gasket and it would'nt start he started messing with other bits trying to cure that prob.He dismantled the starter switch and also had the plugs out n leads off (see what I mean about going off on tangents). Me personally I think he has disturbed a connection whilst messing about blind, If something was ok before you worked on it and afterwards it develops a fault ,well to my mind you look at what you have done first whilst trying to cure it .we will see......

Sparks

Old 04-17-2013, 11:39 AM

Carbs by the sounds of it

check the float valves and in particular the little mesh screens on them

check the tank for contamination, rust , water etc

Old 04-17-2013, 01:27 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very frustrating at times as he goes off on tangents.

Sounds like 99% of the Hurricane section - he'd be in good company here

Having messed about everywhere despite your advice, I think I'd be inclined to let him stew for a while until reason and logic return.
There's nothing like watching everyone else leave on a ride and you can't, to bring a semblance of order to even the most tangential of minds.......

If all else fails a swift clip on the ear has been known to focus attention quite well

His problem could be anything from a sidestand switch malfunction to a blocked filter in his petcock.........or a dodgy kill switch, all of which have laid me low at one time or another in the last 9 odd years.
Generally CDI/ECU units either work, or they don't, there's no half measures. Coils, however have been known to malfunction when hot.................

Just seen I'm, a "Junior" Member @44yrs I like that :
You are but a stripling....................

Old 04-18-2013, 09:39 AM

Thanks you two .
I am indeed going to let him to it for a while,for my part I will just source parts for him as cheaply as I can. I'm sat here all day with a buggered back, agony at the min so time is a plenty. He is not great on a computer so I can search online for him.
I've ridden for 30 years now and spent as long working in the Motor Trade. Not Mechanical,Panel Beater Sprayer .He only passed his test 2-3 years ago though he is 50 now. The hardest part is his limited exp and vocabulary when describing the prob, he omits important info and expands on stuff that is not relevant .You will know yourself I'm sure after a few years you learn to tell an ignition prob from a fuel prob ,but you need to have had the exp of both a few times before you can pin it down,

Thanks again ,incase anyone is interested I will post the conclusion.

Sparks

Old 04-19-2013, 10:06 PM

3 years from now if he sticks with the Hurryicane - You and he will be sheeer genius's

Quick Reply: CBR 1000F 1988 ECU-CDI Question