CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

CBR 1000F 1987 Carbs - a Question/Help please?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR 1000F 1987 Carbs - a Question/Help please?

I have a 1987 CBR 1000F UK spec machine which I have acquired as a non runner - the carbs although ultra sonically cleaned are knackered and leak at the fuel intake unions (2 x brown plastic pipe feed pipes from fuel pump between the carbs on the lower rail).

Despite their cleaning no fuel is being drawn into the cylinder so the plugs are staying dry the vacuum pressure in is good.

My question is which Carbs from later models will fit?

Mine have twin feed off pipes on the carb top rail ( returns to tank) and I have seen that the later models have just one in the middle at the top.

There is also in the manual something about a pulse secondary air injection control with the later carbs that I do not have.

Any help much appreciated

Old 09-08-2010, 03:03 PM

Can some one advise me of where I should place this inquiry within this forum as i really would like to know the answer if there is one?
i have searched but found little to advise me fully

Many thanks folks

Old 09-08-2010, 04:24 PM

Evenin mate ... I'm not sure where you are based ... but there are a couple of sets of carbs for sale on Fleabay at the moment for an '88 in the UK .....

Old 09-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey fyi up to 1991 will work easy , after that a little messing about with later ones.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly.... I'm not sure either.

I know the 87/88 models had a fuel pump which is why you have the dual inlets. The later models have a vacuum actuated petcock only, and were gravity fed.

I honestly don't see why the later model carbs wouldn't fit if you made some modifications, but it may just be easier to get a used set of the older ones.

However, there has to be a reason that your current carbs aren't working and it's worth looking into. Maybe still plugged or a bad valve or something.

Pulse air injection is only on certain bikes in the US. It's a smog/emissions thing, and I don't know if they were fitted to all UK models or what.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by stivh
...Despite their cleaning no fuel is being drawn into the cylinder so the plugs are staying dry the vacuum pressure in is good.
Is fuel getting to the float chamber? If none of the cylinders are getting fuel, I don't think so. I would check the position of each hose to the diagram on the air filter or manual. There are probably a dozen or so. After all the hoses are hooked up correctly, I would find the main fuel line and try putting some fuel in to see if it gets to the float chambers.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:59 PM

Thanks for the replies folks I am in the UK and I am aware of the carbs on ebay which is why I inquired as to suitability of later ones with lower mileages, my carbs are leaking heavily as they get pumped as i stated at the top with fuel and it drains from the float bowls very easily so fuel is getting there.

As to the hoses I am a little confused as to where they all go exactly, is there a decent picture or diagram that shows? This as the manuals on here are a little unclear if any one has a photo of theirs (same set up) I can see that would be really helpful.

Sorry for the late thank yous too but have been earning my keep away from home.

Last edited by stivh; 09-10-2010 at 01:02 PM.