CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Bike not getting fuel!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How can you tell if they are out of sync?

Old 04-09-2014, 09:31 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

OK GW, I have a '94. First off, the line Sprock is asking about is the vacuum line that opens the fuel flow. On a '94 the vacuum operated petcock is activated by engine vacuum coming from a port on the head, to the left on #1 cylinder. Its between the end of the head and carb rubber, more toward the rubber. If you look upward from the shifter, you should see a small port (pipe) the size of the I.D. of the vacuum line. You need vacuum from that port to the back of the petcock. To test the petcock, you can apply vacuum to the petcock with a vacuum type brake bleeder, fuel should flow.

You will not be able to see if the carbs are out of sync just by looking at them.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:52 PM

Okay great. I'll give it a shot in the morning and see how it goes. This is my first time having a bike and having all these problems along with it is not what I was hoping for!

Old 04-10-2014, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by gwburress
Okay great. I'll give it a shot in the morning and see how it goes. This is my first time having a bike and having all these problems along with it is not what I was hoping for!
Better to learn now than later IMO. Once you get it going there damn good bikes.

FYI Only reason I said outfoxed sync was when I got mine I played with the carbs. And doing so it wouldn't start unless I used ether(starting fuel spray).

If it is clogged, cracked, or not connected farther up the line could just disconnect the hose on the back of the pet ****. And can feel if it sucks (creates a vacuum) when you try to turn it over. That would be easier to see if it's the line or the pet ****. No suction it's the line, has suction it's the petcock or further down the line. Start at the top and work your way down right.

Last edited by JD1982; 04-10-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:06 PM

On my petcock there are two hoses. One thicker one that goes directly to the carb, and a small one that goes to the head near the rubber like you explained. The small one wasn't attached to anything. I think I found my problem! I'm gonna finish cleaning the carbs and put it back together and I'll let you guys know.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by gwburress
On my petcock there are two hoses. One thicker one that goes directly to the carb, and a small one that goes to the head near the rubber like you explained. The small one wasn't attached to anything. I think I found my problem! I'm gonna finish cleaning the carbs and put it back together and I'll let you guys know.
Big one is your fuel line, smaller one is your vacuum - yes that should explain why you weren't getting fuel!
Stick with it - sometimes it's frustrating, but these bikes are pretty easy to work on and it's pretty rewarding to be able to keep them running and performing well yourself. Not to mention saves you a whole lot of money!

Amac

Old 04-10-2014, 02:42 PM

I also noticed there was a bolt missing from the choke line on top of the carbs. When I pull the choke lever it pops off of the lever that actually uses the clutch. So I've been trying to start the bike with no clutch and no gas.. Who would have thought!

Old 04-10-2014, 07:37 PM

The bike is running, and running much better than before! Thank you all so much for the help. I'm so pumped to take her out tomorrow.

The problem was the vacuum line, as well as loose clamps on the carbs and a bolt missing from the choke. Who knew 20 dollars and a few days of work could get a decommissioned bike back on the road? Woohoo!

Old 04-10-2014, 07:51 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Great to hear the good news!

Old 04-10-2014, 08:13 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good going man , now you are beginning to familiarize and learn things.

We all started at one point just like you are doing.

Quick Reply: Bike not getting fuel!