1000F Videos Post up your 1000F related vids here ...

Electric CBR - Rear Wheel Test Video

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 09:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shakey
So are you thinking 18 batteries, which give 108 volts (paralelled pairs) ... with the batteries described on your site, that should give you approx 396A/h??? Or is my schoolboy physics in need of brush up?

Keep up the good work matey! .... Did ya get any more video edited yet?

regards,

shakey
Yeah, if I used smaller amp-hour cells, I could put more in and have a higher overall system voltage. However, the main reason for more volts is more speed. I am aiming for distance, so I'll run a little lower voltage with batteries that have a larger reserve. On-the-road video about to be posted.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:37 PM
Default First Ride of the EBR

So here is some on-the-road (or cul-de-sac) footage of my electric CBR. Currently I am using some very small batteries just to test other aspects of the bike. I can comfortably ride it 8 miles on a charge. When I put in the final battery pack, range will be 60 to 70 miles.

I will be putting some of the body work back on it and when I get to the final stages, I'll tear it down for a complete refinish so it will look "like new."

So here it is -- first ride of the EBR!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5xO2nvPgQ8

Old 09-20-2010, 09:46 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Neat and congratulations that's quite something. Can't wait to see it buttoned up
with the batteries in it. What would the recharge time be for the larger capacity
set of batteries ??

Old 09-20-2010, 10:04 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very cool, man. It's neat to see it in action. Congrats, man.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:27 AM

well done man..how much is the bike gonna weigh in at when done?

Old 09-21-2010, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Sprock
Neat and congratulations that's quite something. Can't wait to see it buttoned up
with the batteries in it. What would the recharge time be for the larger capacity
set of batteries ??
That's a good question -- recharge is dependent on the battery chemistry. You are essentially reversing the chemical reaction that generated the power flow and there are different charge curves for different battery types.

If I have 100 amp-hour lithium batteries and I fully discharge them, I'll have drained off 80 amp-hours (can't run the batteries totally empty). If I recharge at a modest 10 amps/hour, that's an 8-hour charge. If I push the batteries to accept a higher rate, say, 25 amps/hour, I can be done in about 3 hours, but I also am trading some long term battery life. So I'll probably stick with the 10 amps/hour rate. That will more than suit my needs.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by bambam
well done man..how much is the bike gonna weigh in at when done?
It will be close to stock. The complete battery set will be heavy and it'll be located where the motor was, so it will feel very similar to the way it was. I'm figuring it'll be between 450 and 500 lbs total.

Right now I would call the setup top heavy because there isn't enough bike under me to balance what's riding on top... I need some ballast under me. :-)

Old 04-07-2011, 09:16 AM

That is sweet!!

Would it be difficult to regenerate your batteries using dynamic breaking?

Loud Pipes Save Lives -> Loud Chains Save Lives

Old 04-08-2011, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteHawk
That is sweet!!

Would it be difficult to regenerate your batteries using dynamic breaking?

Thanks, I had it out a few days ago to shake off the winter cobwebs and it was a blast. I have lithium iron phosphate batteries on order and expect to have them in a little over a month. Once those are installed, I should be able to extend my range tenfold from 8 miles to about 80. Still not enough to replace my regular bike, but definitely something I can commute with and bop around town on all day.

Since I'm using an AC motor, I have regenerative braking built in. That's one of the perks of using an AC motor. The amount of energy you recapture from that is pretty tiny, a couple of percent. The biggest benefit of the regen, in my mind, is that when you release the throttle and the regen starts, it creates compression braking, so it feels just like a gas bike. Without that, the bike would feel like it's in neutral each time the throttle is closed. That's not the worst thing, but it would require some adjustment. This way, it feels totally natural.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Totally Blown away by this - incredible work.

I see you have a luggage rack - have you looked at using panier space to store more batteries - or are they too heavy?

Quick Reply: Electric CBR - Rear Wheel Test Video