Track Techniques Smooth and fast around the track. Share your track knowledge with the masses.

Track riding vs street riding?!

  #1  
Old 11-21-2016, 01:41 PM
Misti's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North Vancouver, BC
Posts: 121
Default Track riding vs street riding?!

What is the track able to teach us about riding that we can't, or don't learn on the street?
 
  #2  
Old 11-21-2016, 01:51 PM
Jaybird180's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Prince George's County, MD
Posts: 3,471
Default

On the street we can get away with poor habits that will bite on the track. I'm talking about the habits of what to do with the 6 controls (clutch, front and rear brake, steering, throttle and shifter) and when and how much to do what. It's not the track itself that teaches us these lessons, but the pace and continuous nature at the track that reveals these things.

On the track, you're always moving. On the street you can stop at the next light and gather your thoughts. You can however slow down on the track - we often forget that and it's the fear of being rear ended sans mirrors that encourages us to forget.
 
  #3  
Old 11-21-2016, 10:22 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: north/central WV
Posts: 1,136
Default

I will add to "Jaybirds" spot on reply...........for example, how many people crash on the street because they just dont know how far they can actually lean a bike over and ride straight off the road in to a ditch or guard rail etc. Or they cant slow down enough because they dont use the front brakes at all. Or target fixate....you go where you look. You'll learn at the track what not to do & what to do. So then when on the street and in an emergency situation you'll be trained properly that will probably save your life and your motorcycle etc, so on and so forth.
 
  #4  
Old 11-21-2016, 10:26 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: north/central WV
Posts: 1,136
Default

The track is the only place to learn the limits of you and your bike in a safe controlled environment without risking innocent bystandards. Not to mention if you do "F" up, there is EMS on site.
 
  #5  
Old 11-28-2016, 10:40 PM
Misti's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North Vancouver, BC
Posts: 121
Default

Originally Posted by coalminer frank View Post
I will add to "Jaybirds" spot on reply...........for example, how many people crash on the street because they just dont know how far they can actually lean a bike over and ride straight off the road in to a ditch or guard rail etc. Or they cant slow down enough because they dont use the front brakes at all. Or target fixate....you go where you look. You'll learn at the track what not to do & what to do. So then when on the street and in an emergency situation you'll be trained properly that will probably save your life and your motorcycle etc, so on and so forth.
Absolutely. It's the training portion that is so important. The track is a safe and controlled place to learn the proper techniques that could save your life on the street. It's amazing how many mistakes people can make riding on the street and can be lucky in the outcome...but for some it's not so lucky. So, like you said, learning the limits of your bike can literally save your life when riding on the street.

Originally Posted by coalminer frank View Post
The track is the only place to learn the limits of you and your bike in a safe controlled environment without risking innocent bystandards. Not to mention if you do "F" up, there is EMS on site.

Absolutely. So true. People often comment that they think my job (and my racing) is so dangerous but then I tell them that it's done on a closed circuit, with highly trained riders and there is always and EMS right on site and we are all wearing the proper gear.... so as you said, the track is THE place to learn the limits!
 
  #6  
Old 11-28-2016, 11:18 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: north/central WV
Posts: 1,136
Default

I honestly believe its safer on the track literally going as fast as you can along with a bunch of other crazy phuckers going as fast as they can than riding on the street, not having a clue what people in automobiles are thinking and going to do. Especially since track days and racing, you are wearing all the proper gear, following all the rules (or they'll kick you out forever) and EMS on site.
 
  #7  
Old 11-30-2016, 03:20 PM
Misti's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North Vancouver, BC
Posts: 121
Default

Originally Posted by coalminer frank View Post
I honestly believe its safer on the track literally going as fast as you can along with a bunch of other crazy phuckers going as fast as they can than riding on the street, not having a clue what people in automobiles are thinking and going to do. Especially since track days and racing, you are wearing all the proper gear, following all the rules (or they'll kick you out forever) and EMS on site.
Hahaha YUP!
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
__Z__
Street Fighters
289
08-02-2011 07:29 PM
us131
Drag Racing
2
07-06-2006 03:04 PM
DaVeRosi
Off Topic
14
01-23-2006 01:26 PM
ddcsteven
CBR 600RR
8
01-05-2006 12:11 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Track riding vs street riding?!


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.