Track Techniques Smooth and fast around the track. Share your track knowledge with the masses.

Sliding forward

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sliding forward

I know there should be at least a few inches from my tank to my belt but I keep sliding forward and finding myself resting against the tank. I'm 5'11'' and 170 lbs so this 2002 CBR1000 shouldn't too big for me that I can't settle into a good riding position. Has anybody ever heard of an insert that goes on the tank to keep me in the back of the seat? Would it help to adjust my pegs? Get a new seat? Any advice is appreciated! I really like the bike and I want to feel comfortable on it. Thanks!

Old 06-04-2018, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by troybayliss
I know there should be at least a few inches from my tank to my belt but I keep sliding forward and finding myself resting against the tank. I'm 5'11'' and 170 lbs so this 2002 CBR1000 shouldn't too big for me that I can't settle into a good riding position. Has anybody ever heard of an insert that goes on the tank to keep me in the back of the seat? Would it help to adjust my pegs? Get a new seat? Any advice is appreciated! I really like the bike and I want to feel comfortable on it. Thanks!
Pinch the tank with both knees to keep yourself from sliding forward. If you are hanging off then you can get set up in position (half a butt cheek off to the side) but instead of sticking your leg out then, keep squeezing the tank with both knees until you tip into the turn, then let your leg fall out.

The more stable you are with your lower body, the more relaxed and loose you can be with your upper body. Sometimes pressing a little bit back on the footpads helps as well.

Also, do you have good tank grips like TechSpec or Stomp Grip? Those can really help by giving you something more adhesive to grip.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Misti
Pinch the tank with both knees to keep yourself from sliding forward. If you are hanging off then you can get set up in position (half a butt cheek off to the side) but instead of sticking your leg out then, keep squeezing the tank with both knees until you tip into the turn, then let your leg fall out.

The more stable you are with your lower body, the more relaxed and loose you can be with your upper body. Sometimes pressing a little bit back on the footpads helps as well.

Also, do you have good tank grips like TechSpec or Stomp Grip? Those can really help by giving you something more adhesive to grip.
I do not have anything grippy on the tank but thanks, you are a genius! I just ordered some clear to put on after I wrap the tank orange to finish the Nicky Hayden tribute wrap I'm working on.

I will try the riding tips you gave me next time out, right now it's about one hundred and nope degrees out there so I'll have to wait till morning. I'm really excited and I appreciate you taking the time to explain it to me.

Are you a MotoGP fan? This past weekend Lorenzo who has struggled with the Ducati for 18 months dominated the Italian GP. He was having the same problem I was and he could shoot to the front and lead the early laps but then his arms would go out and he would finish 8th. Before the Mugello race they added a tank extender to his bike. I hope because of his success something similar becomes commercially available someday, maybe I should shut up and 3D print a prototype and take it to shark tank. I bet I could make it for less than Ducati's MotoGP team haha

The bike on the bottom belongs to Lorenzo and you can see his tank extender.

Anyway thanks again for the tips! The ducs in parc ferme after italian gp 2018. 99 on bottom, 04 on top

Old 06-05-2018, 09:45 AM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Stick some Lego down the front of your boxers. That’ll keep you off the tank !

Old 06-05-2018, 10:27 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by wes 17
Stick some Lego down the front of your boxers. That’ll keep you off the tank !
That's a waste of Lego and they are far too expensive for that.

Sometimes I wear a protective cup as a spacer and to ease the crush. I also had my seat redone in leather. I noticed that I don't slide forward any more. The only downside is the slide side to side has a bit more resistance, but it's fine for not being at the track 95% of the time. With the extra resistance comes a little more grip when I am off the side though.

Old 06-21-2018, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by troybayliss
I do not have anything grippy on the tank but thanks, you are a genius! I just ordered some clear to put on after I wrap the tank orange to finish the Nicky Hayden tribute wrap I'm working on.

I will try the riding tips you gave me next time out, right now it's about one hundred and nope degrees out there so I'll have to wait till morning. I'm really excited and I appreciate you taking the time to explain it to me.
Awesome!! Great to hear I think you will notice a difference with the tank grips and if you try to grip the tank with both knees it will help prevent you from sliding forward.

Let me know how it goes when you get back on the track! And let me know if you have any other questions about riding skills/technqies