Track Days & Riding Schools This section is for the announcement of open track days and educational riding school events.

What cow are you wearing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Retired Administrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What cow are you wearing?

Thought that'd get your attention. I ride with a guy that's done a good job of talking me into track days. Not that I have a problem with it, just paying for the gear is what kills me. Know what I mean?

What gear are you guys using and any tips. I'm looking at Alpinestars SMX 4 boot and the Octane 2 piece suit in blue and white. Not a big fan of all black cause of the heat. With the two piece, I can use it around here on my back roads and take the jacket off at stops. But this is why I'm here asking you guys, any suggestions? Mid Ohio will be the nearest track for us to use and it's about 3 hours away from me. So money limits, I'll be lucky to do two track days a year.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Mad
Default RE: What cow are you wearing?

I went with Teknic Chicane because of price. I got it for $399 and bought the boots for less than a $100. No complaints.. You will also need to invest in a back protector so add that to your bill. The positive is now when you do weekend runs you'll have good protection. I now ride in full gear all the time. There are times I wish I bought a two-piece. When we ride on the weekends and make our stops it is much easier to take the jacket off and cool down, etc. I now recommend a two-piece to everyone!

I felt I made a good investment even though at the time it broke me at the time. I am in pretty much the same boat as you. Track is 3 hours away and I am scrapping money to throw a track day every quarter. It's addictive! Good luck.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:10 AM

Prepare to drop big dough!!!
Look into Sidi B2 ($200) or Sidi Vertigo ($275) boots
As for a suit, I currently wear a 2 piece Joe Rocket suit for the track and also wear the same for backroads riding.It's on the bottom end as far as leathers go, but soon I'll be getting a 1 piece suit, no question about it. Don't cheap on a suit...I saw one guy crash in June during a trackday wearing a cheap moto GP brand suit made from kangaroo leather and the stitchings ripped on the thigh during a slide....GP suits are like $400, so don't cheap out. Look into Vanson, Dainese or Taichi (spelling?) 1 piece suits. Two piece suits have a habit of tearing the zippers that connect the two pieces. Also don't kid yourself over color of suit making it less hot. It could be white or black and you'll still cook in it.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:01 AM

I have had mysolid blackVanson Volante http://www.vansonleathers.com/catalo...f_images/5.pdffor several years. Prior to that, a parade of other brands in many different colors. This is my favorite suit. Getting into and out of this is simplified by the dual zippers. No one at the track will dis a Vanson. WORD!

I agree with dwhite. I cannot tell much difference in heat build up between colors, at least not while riding.

Gaerne makes a great race boot with a rear entry system. I am so groovin' on these. I think they are right there with Sidi and AStar for protection and comfort. I found this after I bought them a couple of years back; http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...ts/gaerne-grs/ from memory, I think he had trouble getting into the boot. Me too...at first. Easiest track boot to get in and out of I've ever had...now!

Old 10-12-2007, 12:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't pay much for my 1-pc AGV Sport. It's surviveda slide pretty well. The reason I went with 1pc is because it wastough to find a good ventilated 2pc at a decent price.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:44 PM

you'll never get it right the first time...because everyone has different figures...to me comfort and safety is number one...i went through 4 different suits to get the one that fits perfectly...with that money I coulda gotten a custom suit which runs about $2500...
currently on track I wear Spidi 1pc(this fits me the best) and on street I wear Fieldsheer 2pc which is alot cheaper...I find that for me 1pc has better fitting than 2pc...that's just me tho...you really gotta try it on before you make any purchases...

Old 10-12-2007, 03:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yes. Do not make the mistake of getting a suit thinking, "I'd like a little room here, and it's too tight there..." In order to protect best, the suit should be snug against the body. Good fit is important, err on the side ofsnug if you must because leather will stretch a little (I mean a little). Adding a back protector removes roominess. You also will sweat a little during the day adding back a few milimeters.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:13 AM
Retired Administrator

Thanks for the tips guys. I meant white to be cooler becuase I will be wearing in on my weekend backroad trips too and when you stop to talk, or what ever reason they find to stop... the black would cook.

So, two piece is not good? Not turing pro or anything, mostly back roads and would like to do a couple of track days a year.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:13 AM
Retired Administrator

Just checked out the SIDI boots... very nice... thanks.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:56 AM
Mad

Two-piece is good. I am only one of two in a group of ten who wear a one piece. You'll be fine with a two-piece. I've done two track days and seen numerous crashes. The guys in two-pieces were just fine. So in my opinion a two-piece carry good protection. On the weekend twisties they are more comfortable. If you stop to shoot the **** and decide it is too hot, with a two-piece you can take the jacket off and chill.

Quick Reply: What cow are you wearing?