Track Days & Riding Schools This section is for the announcement of open track days and educational riding school events.

Track Day 2021?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2021, 04:42 AM
Welcome crew
Received 212 Likes on 191 Posts
Default Track Day 2021?

Anyone?

Finishing up my coffee and heading over to Summit Point in about an hour! Forecast is cloudy, chance of rain around 8-9am, high temp around 60... maybe. I'm wearing my winter Under Armor!

I'm hoping I don't have to sit in my truck with the heater on to fend off frostbite between sessions!

Old 05-09-2021, 05:46 AM
Welcome crew
Received 334 Likes on 310 Posts

Hope you have a great day Doc.
Fingers crossed for the weather.

Old 05-09-2021, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

If I leave now, I can be there in 15 hours.

Old 05-09-2021, 01:08 PM
Welcome crew

Well... I'm back 6 hours early. Second lap of the second session I was black flagged. Bike was smoking and dripping oil on the track. Embarrassed and humiliated beyond words at being "that guy" and shutting down the track for 45 minutes. Got home, took things apart, and found my valve cover gasket had blown out on the throttle body side. Oil spray was everywhere. Got it mostly cleaned up and now have a question.

I did the PAIR removal a couple of years ago and put a "cap" on the top tube outlet. It always leaked just a bit of oil, never enough to warrant adding any between changes or anything. I would just wipe it up every oil change but I thought this was a solvable problem. So, when I changed my plugs last week, I put an appropriate sized ball bearing in the "cap" to completely plug that tube.

Question is (and I'm pretty sure of the answer), is that the likely cause of the gasket blow out or could it have been from slightly overfilling the oil? Vent tube that I blocked is in red, area of gasket blowout is in yellow...

Old 05-09-2021, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Isn't the red circle the Crankcase Breather connection? Doesn't that connect to the bottom of the airbox? If you plugged that, then yes I'm afraid you're "that guy". And it most likely caused the blown gasket.

Old 05-10-2021, 04:44 AM
Welcome crew
Received 334 Likes on 310 Posts

Feel for you Doc!

Old 05-10-2021, 05:21 AM
Welcome crew

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
Isn't the red circle the Crankcase Breather connection? Doesn't that connect to the bottom of the airbox? If you plugged that, then yes I'm afraid you're "that guy". And it most likely caused the blown gasket.
It was connected to the PAIR valve system. When I read the "how to" of removing all that, I'm pretty sure some posters mentioned plugging it. Obviously, it did not work out well for me...

New gasket is in the works and I'll be reinstalling my "leaky" set up and go from there!

Old 05-10-2021, 05:23 AM
Welcome crew

Originally Posted by Al1040
Feel for you Doc!
Thanks! I should've been more judicious in going over everything before loading up and not making a modification the day before... Lesson learned!

Old 05-10-2021, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Doc Samson
It was connected to the PAIR valve system. When I read the "how to" of removing all that, I'm pretty sure some posters mentioned plugging it. Obviously, it did not work out well for me...

New gasket is in the works and I'll be reinstalling my "leaky" set up and go from there!
From what I can see from the factory service manual, that hose did not connect to the PAIR valve. That one should be connecting to the bottom of the airbox. Do you have a copy of the Honda service manual? Take a look at page 1-28 and 1-29 which identifies the hoses. Might help your future leak.

Old 05-10-2021, 04:20 PM
Welcome crew

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
From what I can see from the factory service manual, that hose did not connect to the PAIR valve. That one should be connecting to the bottom of the airbox. Do you have a copy of the Honda service manual? Take a look at page 1-28 and 1-29 which identifies the hoses. Might help your future leak.
Thanks! I'll take a look!

Quick Reply: Track Day 2021?