Track Days & Riding Schools This section is for the announcement of open track days and educational riding school events.

PBIR Beginner Track Day

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 07:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PBIR Beginner Track Day

Well, I did it. I signed up for a beginner's Track Day at Palm Beach Int'l Raceway in December. I also ordered a track suit that I'll get to try on this week. I'm so excited!

Dissevered, I read Keith Code's "Twist of the Wrist II" in a day. I know it's only 100-some pages, but I rarely read a book in one sitting. It was fascinating and showed me that I know just about as much as I don't know about riding. I love the physics element of it and overcoming your survival reactions. That may take some time

I was going to do the Homestead Track Day in November, but it was canceled for some reason. Then I figured if I did it in December, I'd have more time to get ready, mentally and with the bike itself. Plus I'll have some time off work for the holidays so I'll be able to completely focus my attention on it. I'm pretty sure I'll be doing video to capture my first day on the track.

Can't wait! Should be fun Anyone here have an opinion on PBIR? or racing in general? I'm all ears.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:34 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fantastic! Sounds like you will have a blast! Just do what the instructors say and try not to be nervous ... and have fun

Old 11-23-2009, 06:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take your time and learn the techniques. Relax and let it come to you.
Oh, and make sure your bike is ready 3 days prior and don't ride it after.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Default awesome

I did the track day yesterday and had a blast! I took your guys' advice: I started prepping the bike 3 days prior and took it easy while I was out there. I was completely in blank-slate learning mode, so I just let everyone zoom past me. I don't know if any of you guys were there, but either these guys were lying about never having ridden on a track before, or they were just showing off. Anyway, it was a cold-azz morning but once everything warmed up, it all started to click. My goal was to be as smooth as possible and to pick up speed where I felt comfortable.

By the third session, I could've easily passed a handful of riders in the turns, but I was told not to, so I backed off. I see that as a good sign though - that I'm confident enough in the turns that I could easily pass there. There's no question that I could pass in the straights. My bike's perfectly capable, it's just about having confidence and that will come with practice. I LOVE the turns, more than the straights. All I have are straights here in South FL.

So they're doing another event in January down in Homestead. I'm seriously considering it. It's actually a 2-day weekend event, so that would give me a lot of track time. I found that I rode best when I was totally focused, and not distracted by anything (b/f taking pictures, debris/lines on the track, Survival Reactions, etc.). At one point I told my b/f to not tell me where he was so that I could focus on riding. I had to keep telling myself, "I have a very reliable machine, good tires and a clean track. I have nothing to worry about."

I could definitely get addicted to this... ;D Here are some pics:
https://cbrforum.com/forum/members/92seca2-24632-albums-my-first-honda-656/

Old 12-24-2009, 09:17 PM

Good job. Maybe someday I'll post a link to my writup about my first....not as successful as yours (LOL)

Old 12-24-2009, 09:22 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice to hear you had a successful day at the track. Might as well start saving up for a dedicated track bike ... sounds like you're hooked

Old 01-05-2010, 09:23 PM

Glad you liked your first day! I love track days whether in a car or on a bike! If you liked PBIR you should check out Jennings sometime.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Default Homestead

Thanks guys! It was a lot of fun and I'll definitely go again. It's been pretty here cold recently, but that won't stop me from doing at least one track day this month. I'm definitely hooked, chainstretcher but (here's some kleenex) I think my 09 600RR is my track bike... slash street bike. I promise not to drop it. :O

So now that the smoke has cleared and my mind's sufficiently blown, I'm putting the pieces back together about my approach to riding. One technique I've been working on is the smooth braking/downshifting. I figured out how to do it! I'm just trying to get it consistent and smooth. The other technique is weighting the inside peg and digging the outside knee. It's incredible how just a little extra effort goes a long way.

I've also been wearing the same track suit to try softening it up. It still feels stiff when I tuck in for the straights. At least now that I've broken the gear in and have a track day under my belt, I can focus on what's more important - getting faster!

Has anyone else found their post-track street ride to be a PITA?? I couldn't stand it! Just turned around and went back home, crying like a little girl... jk. I've adjusted my routine since then and have been doing short 30-min runs onto the highway and back, trying to mimic the track schedule. A lot of on/off-ramps here are pretty sick. I could be going sooooooo much faster through these turns, like a hot knife through butter... just can't go ballz out on the street. I know the rules.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:18 PM

Next you'll start wondering why you need lights and license plate on your bike. Welcome!!! (muhaahaahaaaaaa)

Old 01-09-2010, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by 92seca2
Has anyone else found their post-track street ride to be a PITA?? I couldn't stand it! Just turned around and went back home, crying like a little girl... jk. I've adjusted my routine since then and have been doing short 30-min runs onto the highway and back, trying to mimic the track schedule. A lot of on/off-ramps here are pretty sick. I could be going sooooooo much faster through these turns, like a hot knife through butter... just can't go ballz out on the street. I know the rules.
I used to live in Orlando and now I live in Ocala and after doing a few track days every time I took the bike out on the street I was bored within the first 10 mins of riding. I'm track only now.

Quick Reply: PBIR Beginner Track Day