Track Days & Riding Schools This section is for the announcement of open track days and educational riding school events.

New to track days

Old 06-25-2011, 01:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New to track days

Hello fellow riders/racers
I recently decided I wanted to get into track-days this summer and had a few questions.
I Live in Michigan and have already found a few days that will work for me and have looked over the requirements.

I am ordering a lower-end 1 piece suit to start out with and I already have gauntlet gloves and racing boots.
My main question is What type of helmet is good for the track?
I currently ride with a Scorpion EXO-400 Urban destroyer but I am starting to think about buying a new helmet for the track. any suggestions?

Also the "low-end" track suit i was looking at listed below. I think this should be fine for a while before I can dump more cash into my track-day funds. any thoughts or reviews on this suit? (i know its not a well known suit so there aren't many reviews online)
Perrini Fusion Motorcycle Racing Leather Suit New Black | eBay

Also this being my first time on the track is there anything besides reading all the regulations I should know besides the obvious: stay hydrated and don't ride beyond your skill level?

Old 06-26-2011, 11:00 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Shreveswat
...Also this being my first time on the track is there anything besides reading all the regulations I should know besides the obvious: stay hydrated and don't ride beyond your skill level?
Track days are addictive...you'll love 'em!

Sounds like you've already given it a great deal of thought. The main thing is to have fun & enjoy riding the track.

Pay attention to the instructors, control riders, & flaggers. If you have any questions at all, ask. You want to be clear on what to do & how to do it. Never feel like you have to ride every session or the entire session.

There are no trophies at the end of the day. So, don't get caught up in feeling like you need to pass everyone or race. There will be people like that but the control riders should keep that under check.

Obviously, you'll want you bike to be ready. So do your maintenance, check chain for proper tension, check tightness of oil nut, etc. The track day organization will have those lists/requirements on their site.

I wouldn't worry about a new helmet unless you really want to buy one. As long as it meets the track criteria, you're good to go. I personally wear a Shoei RF1000. Its lightweight & that is a real plus the longer you ride...keeps the fatigue down.

I don't know anything about the track suit you listed but word to the wise...you want to have that suit broken in b/f you go to the track. I wear Under Armor gear under my suit to keep moisture away & to keep cooler.

Its about having fun in a safe way, working on your cornering skills, & honing your technique. Hope you have a great time!

Old 06-27-2011, 12:29 AM

Ok.. in advance i apologize for the noob question... but what is the best way to break in a 1 piece suit besides wear it a bunch?

Old 06-27-2011, 07:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How far away is the track from your house?

You may be beat to death after riding the track all day. If you have a long ride home (even just an hour ride), you may want to think of loading the bike in a truck. Or renting a motorcycle trailer and hauling it. Gonna get a hitch installed on our SUV for this reason

Old 06-27-2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Shreveswat
Ok.. in advance i apologize for the noob question... but what is the best way to break in a 1 piece suit besides wear it a bunch?
Yes, you want to get in several rides w/ it b/f going to the track. The heat from your body will help w/ the break-in. The leather will form to your body's contours & become softer (making it more comfortable). The main thing is having full range of movement once its broken in.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:04 PM

Thank you very much! I had totally forgot about breaking it in and would hav ordered it a fe days before the track day

Old 06-27-2011, 04:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's possible to ride to and from a track day, and I've done it but don't recommend it. In addition to being very worn out by the time you have to ride back, and therefore more susceptible to an accident, you won't be able to carry much stuff with you. Having a folding chair, tent/canopy, cooler full of food and beverages, etc, makes the day much more pleasant.

Some track day organizers may be able to put you in touch with another rider coming from your area who has extra room in his truck or trailer and can transport your bike, and maybe you too, in exchange for a tankful of gas for his truck.

If your schedule allows it, think about going to the track the evening before, so you'll be well rested and less rushed in the morning. A lot of tracks let you camp there if you don't want to spring for a hotel room.

But mostly be prepared to have an absolutely great time. My next track day is in a week and a half, and I can't wait.

Last edited by Munson; 06-27-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Munson
...If your schedule allows it, think about going to the track the evening before, so you'll be well rested and less rushed in the morning...
This is my method. Tech Inspection comes early!

Old 06-27-2011, 11:44 PM

Thank you for the ideas guys! I think I might have to buy a ramp for my truck now instead of driving the motorcycle over.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will never ride my bike to the track.If you go down and damage your bike to the point that it is not safe to ride, then you will still have to hitch a ride for you and your bike.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to track days