CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Track Days & Riding Schools (https://cbrforum.com/forum/track-days-riding-schools-45/)
-   -   New techniques? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/track-days-riding-schools-45/new-techniques-158510/)

Misti 01-08-2019 12:53 PM

New techniques?

Heading into the new year, are there any specific "NEW" techniques that you wish to learn more about or try this year? Having had the chance to ride Aragon in Spain in October, I was working on understanding engine braking a bit more and combining it better with trail braking. What are some things that you guys want to know/understand more and what are you planning on working on with your own riding?

John600rr 07-30-2019 11:06 PM

I really need help to actually use brakes entering corners. I just usually roll off the throttle and turn at the appropriate point.

Of course I use the brakes if there is something in front of me, like someone stopping, or an obstacle, or a red light etc. :)

I know its fine on the street, but if I can ever get to a track day, I know everyone will just out brake me into every corner.

John600rr 07-30-2019 11:08 PM

secondly, by reading my rear tire, I am clearly able to lean over more comfortably to the left. The left side of my rear tire has a few mm of unworn tire and my right side has a bit less than an inch.

Or is this just because of road crown and the fact that traffic circles are all left turns with camber ?

Misti 08-04-2019 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by John600rr (Post 1324550)
I really need help to actually use brakes entering corners. I just usually roll off the throttle and turn at the appropriate point.

Of course I use the brakes if there is something in front of me, like someone stopping, or an obstacle, or a red light etc. :)

I know its fine on the street, but if I can ever get to a track day, I know everyone will just out brake me into every corner.

As long as you are getting the entry speed set correctly right now it's not really an issue that you aren't using the brakes. Only use them if you need them on the street! If you take it to a track day, with higher speeds you will notice you have to begin using the brakes and then you can get some practice on how to brake correctly to continue to set the correct entry speed. The most important part is that you are entering at a comfortable speed and that you have good throttle control throughout the corner. how would you define "good throttle control?" What do you do once you have the bike turned in the corner and pointed in the direction you want to go?

Originally Posted by John600rr (Post 1324551)
secondly, by reading my rear tire, I am clearly able to lean over more comfortably to the left. The left side of my rear tire has a few mm of unworn tire and my right side has a bit less than an inch.

Or is this just because of road crown and the fact that traffic circles are all left turns with camber ?

Most people have a side that they are more comfortable and I'd say that at the majority of people are more confident on the left side. This may be because the right side is where the throttle hand is as well....sometimes we do small things differently on one side vs the other and it can make cornering feel different. Sometimes it helps to put the bike on some stands and practice your body position both sides to see if you may be doing something different....

John600rr 08-05-2019 10:00 PM

throttle control in this context for me is smooth, and appropriately timed.

I will look ahead, see the line I want to take (usually a late apex so I have more time to see, and more room if something isn't as planned), select the correct gear, and roll off the throttle to get the desired entry speed I want. Then I will lean the required amount and aim for the apex. As I approach the apex, I will start to GENTLY feed in some throttle. Not enough to actually accelerate the bike,or change its attitude, but enough to not have the throttle closed anymore, keeping the speed I have set. As I hit the apex, I will feed in more and more as I start to allow the bike to stand up. Once I am pointed straight, I can go for as much throttle as needed for the upcoming straight.

Probably not explaining this well, but when done right it feels smooth and looks (and sounds) like watching good instructors.

Misti 08-26-2019 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by John600rr (Post 1324721)
throttle control in this context for me is smooth, and appropriately timed.

I will look ahead, see the line I want to take (usually a late apex so I have more time to see, and more room if something isn't as planned), select the correct gear, and roll off the throttle to get the desired entry speed I want. Then I will lean the required amount and aim for the apex. As I approach the apex, I will start to GENTLY feed in some throttle. Not enough to actually accelerate the bike,or change its attitude, but enough to not have the throttle closed anymore, keeping the speed I have set. As I hit the apex, I will feed in more and more as I start to allow the bike to stand up. Once I am pointed straight, I can go for as much throttle as needed for the upcoming straight.

Probably not explaining this well, but when done right it feels smooth and looks (and sounds) like watching good instructors.

Well as Keith Code says, "once the gas is cracked on it is rolled on smoothly, evenly and constantly throughout the remainder of the turn." What its the reason for this? What does rolling on the gas do for the motorcycle? Will you be able to achieve that if you are just holding the gas steady and not rolling on?

John600rr 08-29-2019 09:26 PM

I'm not the best at communicating. The part where I am holding it steady is only very brief. My bike has throttle cables, not ride by wire, so its a bit jerky when the plate closes and opens again from fully closed. I am trying to minimise that because that jerkiness can't be good for anything really, least of all keeping the bike doing what I want. :)

As soon as I can, I will roll on slightly, opening it up more and more until I am full throttle (if that's the goal on the exit)

I am thinking that more throttle will make the bike stand upright?

I am a new rider tho, so I could be wrong.

I also know it was easier to do on my last bike. it had ride by wire throttle. (KTM RC 390 with a few mods)

BTW, thank you for taking the time to help here, I appreciate it.

Misti 11-04-2019 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by John600rr (Post 1325118)
I'm not the best at communicating. The part where I am holding it steady is only very brief. My bike has throttle cables, not ride by wire, so its a bit jerky when the plate closes and opens again from fully closed. I am trying to minimise that because that jerkiness can't be good for anything really, least of all keeping the bike doing what I want. :)

As soon as I can, I will roll on slightly, opening it up more and more until I am full throttle (if that's the goal on the exit)

I am thinking that more throttle will make the bike stand upright?

I am a new rider tho, so I could be wrong.

I also know it was easier to do on my last bike. it had ride by wire throttle. (KTM RC 390 with a few mods)

BTW, thank you for taking the time to help here, I appreciate it.

So, let's look at this more closely..... does rolling on the throttle stand the bike upright?

Say you are going through a basic corner, you turn the bike, get the lean angle you want and pointed in the direction you want, you then roll on the gas smoothly evenly and constantly throughout the corner. While you are rolling the gas on doest the bike stand up by itself or do you steer it upright?

What happens if you get on the gas too soon (before you are completely pointed where you want to go or before you have gotten to the lean angle you want)? Where does the. bike want to go?

John600rr 11-05-2019 12:29 PM

the bike will start to stand up depending on how much throttle is applied.

If I am just riding in traffic, and cannot really accelerate due to traffic or speed limits etc, I can pick the bike up, but if I add throttle it will stand up on its own

and it will also tend to widen the radius of the corner with addition of throttle

Misti 11-11-2019 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by John600rr (Post 1326140)
the bike will start to stand up depending on how much throttle is applied.

If I am just riding in traffic, and cannot really accelerate due to traffic or speed limits etc, I can pick the bike up, but if I add throttle it will stand up on its own

and it will also tend to widen the radius of the corner with addition of throttle

Here you will find an interesting article by Keith Code in which he explains a little more about throttle control and holding a line.

Holding Your Line - Articles by Keith - Cornering Forum

He says in the article, "Most riders say the bike comes up as they begin to roll the throttle on more aggressively towards the end of the turn. Contrary to that feeling, the bike does not ?come up? from throttle application when you are exiting a turn." If it isn't the throttle that brings that bike up, what is it?