Track Days & Riding Schools This section is for the announcement of open track days and educational riding school events.

how to drag knee.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to drag knee.

Hey so around my house out here we have plenty of 35 mph turns, and one is beautiful! Its long and stays about the same angle throughout the whole turn. So i practice alot on thesed turns. And yesterday i was hitting about 85 going through it and i got to the point where my foot was dragging and my peg was about to hit the ground. And i could not lean any further which made for a BIG problem. So what am i supposed to do? Are there any techniques for leaning even further? And i was already counter steering the heck out of it.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:49 PM
Mad
Default RE: how to drag knee.

You need to get off the bike more. Click HERE.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:11 PM

first off and by far the most important thing, is to stop doing that on the street and take it to a trackday!

if your dragging toes/pegs and not getting a knee down then most likely you aren't getting off the bike properly. It may even feel like your getting way off the bike when your actually not, thats what most street riders and new track riders struggle with. You'd swear your doin the monkey lean but in reality, all you did was scoot over an inch or so in the seat.

The ***** of your feet should be on the pegs making your foot essentially point down instead of forward towards the shifter/brake lever. This keeps your toes off the ground and usually the peg will scrape before your toes

here is my body position example pic, the first is my first trackday when I thought I was leaning way off the bike and actually not. I crashed later that day because I was having to lean the bike way over but wasn't getting off the bike. The second pic is after quite a few trackdays when I actually knew what I was doing. I'm carrying a HELL of a lot more speed through the corner and able to control the bike and feel what the bike is doing a LOT better:

Old 08-25-2007, 02:17 PM

ORIGINAL: woodyracing

first off and by far the most important thing, is to stop doing that on the street and take it to a trackday!

if your dragging toes/pegs and not getting a knee down then most likely you aren't getting off the bike properly. It may even feel like your getting way off the bike when your actually not, thats what most street riders and new track riders struggle with. You'd swear your doin the monkey lean but in reality, all you did was scoot over an inch or so in the seat.

The ***** of your feet should be on the pegs making your foot essentially point down instead of forward towards the shifter/brake lever. This keeps your toes off the ground and usually the peg will scrape before your toes

here is my body position example pic, the first is my first trackday when I thought I was leaning way off the bike and actually not. I crashed later that day because I was having to lean the bike way over but wasn't getting off the bike. The second pic is after quite a few trackdays when I actually knew what I was doing. I'm carrying a HELL of a lot more speed through the corner and able to control the bike and feel what the bike is doing a LOT better:

[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 08-25-2007, 02:19 PM

It's hard to correct your body position online...GOTO A TRACK!!!
ORIGINAL: nieuwsma

Hey so around my house out here we have plenty of 35 mph turns, and one is beautiful! Its long and stays about the same angle throughout the whole turn. So i practice alot on thesed turns. And yesterday i was hitting about 85 going through it and i got to the point where my foot was dragging and my peg was about to hit the ground. And i could not lean any further which made for a BIG problem. So what am i supposed to do? Are there any techniques for leaning even further? And i was already counter steering the heck out of it.

Old 08-25-2007, 06:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: woodyracing

....first off and by far the most important thing, is to stop doing that on the street and take it to a trackday!....

......The ***** of your feet should be on the pegs making your foot essentially point down instead of forward towards the shifter/brake lever. This keeps your toes off the ground and usually the peg will scrape before your toes.....
Nicely put. I've raked my footpegs a few times and woody said it right. Getyour feet back on the pegs. Feels like I'm almost on my damn tip toes before i go into a turn. Not sure if this is solid advice, i'd like to have somebody back me up on this.... I get off the bike and place my head very near to where my mirrors usually are. Keep ur chin parallel with the ground, look throughyour turns. your head can do alot of work, it weighs about 16 lbs! Again woody nailed it, take it to the track, the tarmac is soooo sooo much stickier. Most important just relax, listen to your seat, footpegs and your handlebars.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:35 AM

hey thanks for all your tips! and after watching all the you tube vids and watching vids and pics of rossi, and hayden and other racers and there body angle im pretty sure i got it! Alot of it was my foot placement, and now i just need to get comfortable doing this! I will sure make it to a trackday, and get some racing pants so i wont f up my knee! Thanks so much!

Old 08-27-2007, 01:44 AM

Trying to drag knee pucks on the street is a quick way to the nearest hospital.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will add one thing that has helped me throughout the entire learning curve!! (no pun intended)

Stop TRYING to drag knee!!! If you are trying to drag knee, you never will and will end up crashing! Work on the corner first, set up the right entry speed, the correct body/head position, look thru the turn, control your throttle. Then eventually you will end up getting off the seat more and you will soon drag knee without even knowing you did. If you haven't scraped peg yet you arenowhere nearthe right body position/lean angle to dragknee. One other thing you can do is put pressure on the inside footpeg to help "lean" the bike. When the bike starts to lean try to stick your breastbone on your "inside" wrist. And like said, keep the head level and look thru the entire turn.

You will get there young Jedi, it just takes time!!! This pic was at Palomar Mountain. Just after the appex and the knee just came off the ground.

Name:  bike1-1.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  47.0 KB

Old 09-09-2007, 09:03 AM

lee park's book total control will go into big detail on it....i think one of the most important factors for lean is knowing why you have to lean. man if your not way inside trying to unweight your centerline your lookin at a good lowside or worse. read a book and get the big picture...not just on here with 1000 diff points of view.

Quick Reply: how to drag knee.