Stunters Corner For all those stunters out there.. share your knowledge, talk about it. Those that do not like stunting, please stay away. Please read disclaimer!

Your Preference? Throttle or brake?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 01:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Your Preference? Throttle or brake?

It is all throttle control... the brake is just for extreme measures..

Old 06-03-2007, 01:15 AM

Well, I've always known that my clutch lever sucks. You need to have the power of the increadable hulk to pull the thing in with 2 fingers. (Don't make the clutch angry... you wouldn't like the clutch when it's angry!) So last night I met up with a bunch of well to do and highly talented stunters, and noticed that all of them were using the MSR Pro Raptor clutch lever... and on their bikes it's all buttery and super easy to pull in.

So went down to the local shop today and picked myself up one... the shorty 2 finger version.

WOW what a difference. It took me about an hour to get it absolutely adjusted for how I like the clutch to engage-disengage, but it's super sweet. It makes it really easy for me to pull in the clutch now.

It's raining now, so didn't get a chance to put in a session, but I'll keep ya posted on what I think of it then. So far tho, LOVE IT!

- Pixel -

Old 06-04-2007, 06:37 AM

lol, 1800ft is plenty....our spot is only about 100ft

Old 06-04-2007, 12:42 PM

ORIGINAL: transamlt1man

It is all throttle control... the brake is just for extreme measures..
dont listen to this guy.. The brake is what you use to control your wheelie to be smooth. Just using throttle makes for unstable, choppy wheelies.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:02 PM

So this week's been a good learning experience. The clutch lever is absolutely wicked. After putting in a half day session getting used to the lever, I managed to do the 1800 ft. length of the road again. So since I had a bit of enery left, I gave 2nd gear a bit of practice.

For whatever reason, I was only using 1 finger to clutch it up in 2nd, and it seemed to come up no prob (with a tiny bounce as I launch it). So went back into first for a bit, and got used to 1 finger clutching there as well. Seems that with more fingers on the bars, I tend to bring it up straighter.

So re-learing 13 years of riding, and switching to 1 on the clutch.

Probably a good idea tho, as in the near future I plan on adding a hand brake. So getting this down now, should help me learn the finger brake without having too many old habits in play.

And ooh yeah... 2nd is flippin fast! (not used to that yet... kind of like the slower stuff better lol)

- Pixel -

Old 06-05-2007, 10:48 AM

clutching one finger is definately better...

Old 06-05-2007, 04:18 PM

Do you use 1 finger all the time? Like in regular every day riding thru town / in traffic / on the highway as well? Or just for stunting?

Old 06-05-2007, 04:27 PM

i started out clutching wheelies with 2 fingers and when i switched to one it seemed to give me more control...

I use one finger all the time when i clutch it up, but im also rockin a handbrake so you kinda have to use one...but when im just cruisin around i still use one, i just try to alternate my middle and pointer finger depending on which one hurts more..lol

Old 06-05-2007, 04:29 PM

but im also rockin a moose easy-pull clutch lever....even though F4i clutch levers are easy from the factory. unlike most other bikes.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:36 AM

Got my GP style shifting today. It's like learning all over again. So i'm giving myself time, and space in traffic to make mistakes in shifting until I get it to second nature. Trying to undo a decade of riding habits now lol.

This also means that I'm keeping my wheelies to a minimal until I make sure I'm not grabbing too much throttle thinking that I'm in 2nd, when I could be in 1st.

To be continued...

- Pixel -

Quick Reply: Your Preference? Throttle or brake?