Stunters Corner For all those stunters out there.. share your knowledge, talk about it. Those that do not like stunting, please stay away. Please read disclaimer!

Whats so wrong with power wheelies?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats so wrong with power wheelies?

I've been doing the power wheelie thing just trying to get used to the feel of the front coming up and I'm starting to get the hang of it. Then I wan't to move up to clutching it up in second and going longer. But the more I read the more I see peeps saying it's a bad thing. Other than the potential for looping what's wrong with power wheelies? Sorry for the noob question, but I'm a wheelie noob.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:13 AM
Default RE: Whats so wrong with power wheelies?

its 10 times easier to loop a power wheelie. if someone is new to wheelies, its obviously not the way you want to start out. beginners dont have the control to bring the bike back off of the tail at 60+ mph

Old 08-01-2007, 01:11 AM

I tell everybody to learn how they want to do wheelies whatever way they feel comfortable. But once you get the hang of the wheel coming up naturally you are going to have to progress to clutching. Power wheelying isn't really that bad if your not going that high but once you start getting near balance point is when it gets sketchy. Your bike is lifting the front wheel under pure acceleration so when it comes the the balance point what are you going to do, you can't let off because the bike will slam down, and it takes a experienced rider to feel the point and start letting off to get it to actually balance from a power wheelie. Not to mention if you don't know anything about balance point your just going to stay in the throttle and the bike will be on top of you in a heart beat. That is why they are dangerous. On the flip side clutching get the wheel up initially close to balance point with little or minimal acceleration, and you can play with the throttle to get on balance point relatively easy. Noobs ( and remember we all used to be noobs , all these cocky guys on here used to be noobs at one time) always think that clutching is way more dangerous because of the looping your bike factor. And it is if you don't practice right and build up to a reasonable clutch wheelie the right way. Take it small and slow you will lift the wheel higher and higher everyday. And don't worry about asking noob questions because that is what the forum is here for, them cocky guys forget that they used to be noobs and ask questions. I am alway here to give my honest opinion about questions. hope that helps... later

Old 08-01-2007, 09:49 AM

ORIGINAL: twistatech

I tell everybody to learn how they want to do wheelies whatever way they feel comfortable. But once you get the hang of the wheel coming up naturally you are going to have to progress to clutching. Power wheelying isn't really that bad if your not going that high but once you start getting near balance point is when it gets sketchy. Your bike is lifting the front wheel under pure acceleration so when it comes the the balance point what are you going to do, you can't let off because the bike will slam down, and it takes a experienced rider to feel the point and start letting off to get it to actually balance from a power wheelie. Not to mention if you don't know anything about balance point your just going to stay in the throttle and the bike will be on top of you in a heart beat. That is why they are dangerous. On the flip side clutching get the wheel up initially close to balance point with little or minimal acceleration, and you can play with the throttle to get on balance point relatively easy. Noobs ( and remember we all used to be noobs , all these cocky guys on here used to be noobs at one time) always think that clutching is way more dangerous because of the looping your bike factor. And it is if you don't practice right and build up to a reasonable clutch wheelie the right way. Take it small and slow you will lift the wheel higher and higher everyday. And don't worry about asking noob questions because that is what the forum is here for, them cocky guys forget that they used to be noobs and ask questions. I am alway here to give my honest opinion about questions. hope that helps... later
Hey, thanks. That makes sence. I have brought her down hard a couple times from power wheelieing and I know thats not good on the fork seals. It didn't take that long to get the hang of powering it up maybe I should go ahead and get used to clutching it. Thanks again.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:03 AM

Your welcome, be safe and take it slow and easy, at your own pace. Try to ride with somebody else too that way you can compare notes and learn from each other and somebody will be there if you wipe out.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:23 AM

Tried clutching it today, although the first couple were kind of hairy I started to get the hang of it alot better than the power wheelies. The power wheelies seemed like all or nothing sometimes but the clutched wheelies lifted off every time. Cluthing is deffinatley the way to go. Just got to keep telling myself t take it slow. Kind of addicting.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:59 AM

more like very addicting!!! i cant get enough! that 'floating' sensation is freakin wierd! im still not over it! haha

Old 09-18-2007, 12:07 PM

This should be a sticky at the top of the stutning section so everyone who wants to powpow can see.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

power wheelies are just gay

Old 09-19-2007, 12:38 PM

How hard is clutching it up on the bike? I rely on mine for commuting for most of the year and i've heard its hard on it. But I heard it from someone who probably just assumed it was so i'd like to hear from the people doing em all the time.

Quick Reply: Whats so wrong with power wheelies?