Stunters Corner For all those stunters out there.. share your knowledge, talk about it. Those that do not like stunting, please stay away. Please read disclaimer!

Standing Staggered

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standing Staggered

Tried my first attempt at a wheelie today, first gear about 10 mph roll rev to 8k dump the clutch just tire spin, rev to 11k came up about six inches and tire spin. Read a post before about the same thing going to try out some tips there. Just have one question why is standing staggered better than standing on both diver pegs? Also would it be easier to learn by standing on the passenger pegs to get more weight over the *** of the bike or not?

Old 06-17-2007, 11:20 PM
Default RE: Standing Staggered

what bike you on ? your gonna loop that **** doing that in 1st gear

start small, be careful man

Old 06-17-2007, 11:55 PM

started low 3k then 5k rear just stuck and launched the bike straight, great for a drag race, but at 8k tire spun. I think my problem is that i was sitting down and maybe a little to far forward. Thanks for the advice though.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:56 PM

its a 05 600rr

Old 06-18-2007, 03:11 AM

The tire spin may not have been an issue of how many revs you had, but rather releasing the clutch too slowly. Bad for clutch, bad for tires, bad in general. If that is the case. Either way, it sounds like from the speed you are starting at, you are pushing your luck pulling your revs that high.

Other tire spin issues may be... cold tires, "sugar sand" covered roads, leaning too far fowrard, revs excessivly high. Probably others, but those are the ones that I've run into.

The clutch should be "slipped". Meaning that it is not fully dis-engaged, and then dumped. Rather it is pulled in just enough that the revs climb, then with a nice smooth release, it is let out quickly. i.e. slipped.

On to body position... When you stand up with both feet on your front pegs, once the wheel comes up, it is much more difficult to keep your body upright and and posture straight, as in order to get to the balance point the front wheel needs to be much higher to balance it. In other words, once you're up there is the weight of the bike in front of the rear tire, and the weight of the rider behind the rear wheel. Those weights need to be balanced to be at the balance point.

Now... with standing staggered, you are putting the weight of the rider much further behind the bike, while still being able to cover the rear brake. This brings the balance point on most bikes back towards 10-11 o'clock. Where as standing on the front pegs, it would be more like 11-12 o'clock.

Also look at it this way. Stand in the middle of a room with your feet about peg width apart, and hands forward. Now have somebody push you backwards... what do you need to do to keep from falling over? (move a foot back.)

Then stand in the middle of a room with your right foot forward, and left foot back (staggered wheelie stance). Have somebody push you backwards. What happens? You can keep your balance by doing a number of things... bending your legs, leaning your butt back, moving your shoulders, etc.

That is the reason for doing the staggered wheelie stance. You have much better body balance front to back, independent of what the bike is doing.

Hope that helps answer your questions.

- Pixel -

Old 06-18-2007, 08:22 AM

hmmm..

first off, you should not be looking at ur gauges when ur doing wheelies...either take em off or put a piece of duct tape over the glass so u can't read it.

and yes, staggered IS easier, and bp will be lower.

my last advice is, learn the rear break before u go any higher on ur wheelies. it WILL save ur ***.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:19 AM
Err

drop your tire pressure to 25 ish.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just work at it, i aint rode in almost a month........I SUCK!

Old 06-18-2007, 09:18 PM

thanks for the info, i was pulling the clutch the whole way in and then dumping it. Looking at gauges to see where i was rpm wise and then looking ahead and dumping the clutch just so i knew where to rev to from there. Will give it a shot standing staggered next time thanks for the great advice. My bike is completly stock and suggestions for where to rev too before dumping it?

Old 06-18-2007, 11:37 PM

One thing you need to keep in mind is that there's not any specific rev you will be at to bring it up. The variables are your starting speed, how much you build the revs, if you are accelerating or not etc. I honestly have no idea what my revs are at when I launch them. I also don't know how high I'm bringing them when I slip the clutch. It's all by sound. Browse around YouTube and watch some videos of guys clutchign it up. The important thing to get out of this is the sound that the bike makes. You'll notice that it's almost always the same, no matter what bike.

Use your ears for clutching, not your eyes.

If you want to see where they are at when you're clutching it up, I suggest mounting a video camera to your tank, and reviewing it after your session is done.

That's all I think. LOL

- Pixel -

Quick Reply: Standing Staggered