Stunters Corner For all those stunters out there.. share your knowledge, talk about it. Those that do not like stunting, please stay away. Please read disclaimer!

Learning the "BP"

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Learning the "BP"

I've been riding for about 8 months now and have been practicing wheelies for about 7. I started out learning to just pump the throttle on my 01 gsxr 750. Now i can power it up about 4ft and chase it for a little bit and i have no problems clutching either (a little nervious first couple of tries but then i loosen up) i can also do stand up power wheelies and drag for just a little bit as well but im too scared to go over my 4ft limit. everyone says "when you hit your balance point, YOU'LL KNOW IT" but that doesnt help me when i keep thinking "...ok, well what stops me from feeling the balance point for about .5 seconds then flipping backwards?"

What are ya'lls stories and experiences on how and when you found the BP? Im sure no one forgets the first time they found their BP and i want to hear it cuz hopefully it helps me get over my fears. oh and by the way, I own a 2002 954

[/align]

Old 04-27-2008, 11:00 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM
Default RE: Learning the "BP"

First of all what keeps you from flipping backwards is your rear brake, practice it, learn it, use it, love it. Sitting down for me (2nd or 3rd gear) is about when i cant see over the windshield anymore, the bike goes quiet and you just kinda float there, i just twitch the throttle and back brake to keep that feeling. Standing up is differant for me anyhow, i seem to rock in and out of bp using my body weight, sitting i seem to just hover there, but its the same quiet feeling.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:11 AM
RCR

For me it's when the handle bars feel light (floating I guess), when under BP you can feel the weight of the bike in the bars, as soon as you hit it it the exhaust gets quiter (engine load is gone from pulling all the weight up) and that's when you ride or tap the rear brake and throttle to keep it there and yes you have to keep it there, it's not likea magic spot that it rides in all by itself.

BP is different for everyone, depends on your weight and position.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:24 PM

so how easy is it to go from BP to flipping backwards. Is is something that you have to be an idiot and full throttle it over? or is it something that just a little mistake can send you back?

[/align]

Old 04-28-2008, 05:52 PM

when u can hold a wheelie at steady rpms and speed uve reached the BP. Just remember the faster u go the lower ur bp is, the slower u go the higher it is.
and the first time u think ur at bp trust me u still go ways to go. Just make sure to cover ur rear brake and remember to be smooth on the throtle

Old 04-29-2008, 09:51 AM

ORIGINAL: Manny929

so how easy is it to go from BP to flipping backwards. Is is something that you have to be an idiot and full throttle it over? or is it something that just a little mistake can send you back?

[/align]
yea its likemedium twitch and ur ****ed... its really easy to crash if u dont know how to control the rear brake! believe me when i wheelie i use my rear brake more then i use my throttle.....

Old 04-29-2008, 01:46 PM

[/align]
If you're doing power wheelies you're much more likely to loop the bike (and you'll be going faster when you do). This is because when you hit your powerband the bike gets much more torquey and that is coupled with your bike being "lighter" because you are higher up...recipe for disaster. Pretty much all of the stunters you see in the videos and at competitions are doing clutch wheelies...this isn't just a coincidence. Good luck.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:57 PM

so whats a good way to learn your balance point? going 10mph and clutching higher and higher until you float or going 30 mph and clutching 2nd gear? actually,.. i guess my first question should be: whats the best way to learn to depend on your rear brake. I think i speak for alot of beginners when i say my first reaction is to just let go of the gas. how did you guys learn to depend on your rear brake?
Ps.i really appreciate you guys helping me out with this, i'd rather learn these questions by Q&A than the hard way if you know what i mean

[/align]

Old 04-29-2008, 04:55 PM

so whats a good way to learn your balance point? going 10mph and clutching higher and higher until you float or going 30 mph and clutching 2nd gear? actually,.. i guess my first question should be: whats the best way to learn to depend on your rear brake. I think i speak for alot of beginners when i say my first reaction is to just let go of the gas. how did you guys learn to depend on your rear brake?
Ps.i really appreciate you guys helping me out with this, i'd rather learn these questions by Q&A than the hard way if you know what i mean

[/align]
I felt better learning as slow as possible. Once I got the technique down, I started launching them from 5mph. And as far as the brake goes... I clutch it up hard... and catch the bp using the brake while still on the throttle. It has worked for now... but i've gone thru pads pretty quick. As I've been progressing I rely on the brakes a little bit less... but I'm still a brake *****.

I'm on to learning idle wheelies, and definately over brake. Idle is going to take me some time to get down.

So I guess I'd say this. Find the speed your bike comes up at in first gear... if it's 20, practice... and then try getting it to come up at 15.. when you have that down 10... 5... etc. It's hard to bring yourself to do at first... but the faster you launch it to BP the better.

And I've looped... so grain of salt there lol.

- Pixel -

Old 04-29-2008, 07:47 PM

unlike pixel 6 for me it was easier to flip the bike in lower speeds!!! ( when i did not know how to use the rear brake) dont ask mey it just was.ipersonaly i learned how to useit while i wasin2nd gear where i did not have to worrie about ranning out of rpms and just playing with the rear brake...but hey what ever feelseasier for u!one thingTAKE UR TIME

Quick Reply: Learning the "BP"