Stunters Corner For all those stunters out there.. share your knowledge, talk about it. Those that do not like stunting, please stay away. Please read disclaimer!

Best way to bring up a standup wheelie???

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to bring up a standup wheelie???

Hey guys. Before I catch any crap, I have already done a search and can't find any good info on standups. I have a 954 and every time I try a standup, it feels really weird. I've tried staggered on the pegs, I've tried standing after I've gotten the front wheel off the ground. I'm 6'4" so I don't know if thats why it feels so weird being so hi up on the bike. When I try staggered on the pegs and try clutching the bike up it feels like I'm gonna get ripped right off the bike or the bars start going left to right really fast. Any info would be great.

Thanks

Old 03-29-2008, 11:23 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM
Default RE: Best way to bring up a standup wheelie???

OK i am not a good teacher i can tell you that, heck not even great at wheelies heh. For myself i just start to stand up, slip the clutch and give a little pull on the bars. It can feel like you are going to fall off the back, just keep them to a couple feet high till you get used to the feeling, then bring it up higher a little at a time. Keep the back brake covered also.I crashed mine the other day (not stunting) but borrowed my buddies R1 today for a bit after work, just really needed to ride. The wife took a few crappy vids, but i have a couple of me bringin it up, put it in slow mo, maybe it will help. His clutch is kinda messed up, so i did not clutch these, however i would recomend clutching. I am 6'2" for what its worth. http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p318/TK954rr/?action=view¤t=bringinitup.flv

Old 04-08-2008, 12:37 AM

I wouldn't pull on the bars, it can lead to the bike doing some really strange stuff. Just stand up with your knees a bit bent, then kind of "bounce" the bike using your legs.when the suspension isrebounding, clutch it up andit should come right up.I'm really bad at explaining things, but hope this helps.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:05 AM
RCR

ORIGINAL: TK954RR

OK i am not a good teacher i can tell you that, heck not even great at wheelies heh. For myself i just start to stand up, slip the clutch and give a little pull on the bars. It can feel like you are going to fall off the back, just keep them to a couple feet high till you get used to the feeling, then bring it up higher a little at a time. Keep the back brake covered also.I crashed mine the other day (not stunting) but borrowed my buddies R1 today for a bit after work, just really needed to ride. The wife took a few crappy vids, but i have a couple of me bringin it up, put it in slow mo, maybe it will help. His clutch is kinda messed up, so i did not clutch these, however i would recomend clutching. I am 6'2" for what its worth. http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p318/TK954rr/?action=view¤t=bringinitup.flv

Note to self*** don't lend bike to buddies who just really need to ride

Nice wheelies TK

Old 04-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

^ Thats what he gets for going out of town and leaving the keys in it

Old 04-12-2008, 07:06 PM

heck not even great at wheelies
Well then, I must be terrible at them! I am nowhere near as good.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:33 PM

^ Thats what he gets for going out of town and leaving the keys in it
lucky you werent on Car-Bait (well guess it would be called Bike-Bait) on TruTV..

Old 04-13-2008, 09:19 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Onarom believe me, what i can do compared to what a lot of real stunters can do is not even in the same league.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:34 AM

Onarom believe me, what i can do compared to what a lot of real stunters can do is not even in the same league.
I know- I don't have the courage to even try to get to their level (nor the money to be replacing bike parts), so you will NEVER see me doing a hi-chair. But I would like to get comfortable enough to get to the balancing point. I am just too afraid of going too far and crashing, so I keep my wheelies at the point that I need to keep accelerating in order to hold them.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:38 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Just keep doing that, and before you know it you will be higher and higher up, then riding them for miles at a time. Just remember while your learning to take advantage of the rear brake, keep it covered, and for me to get used to it i started mentally telling myself to use it to bring the bike down. Before ya know it you will be using it for control too, but at least its always covered.

Quick Reply: Best way to bring up a standup wheelie???