Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

What's your favorite Position? :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's your favorite Position? :)

So, I've had my bike for about two weeks now, but am only on day 6 as a rider/driver. I decided to take my bike on a roadtrip this weekend (225miles), and learned a few lessons on the freeway, but I have a few questions too.

I read up on people on here saying ride in the left lane when possible, did that. It was easier to only worry about traffic on my right too, so thanks for ya'll posting that info up.

Riding on the freeway, PACKING LIGHT is the best!! I took a bookbag and packed a few clothes, shoes, and a laptop, which i found to be too heavy for the long haul, but it was too late.

When riding, what is the best position? Sitting up? Crouching all the way down? or somewhere in between? I tried all 3 but couldn't get comfortable at all.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:40 PM

Stop thinking too much and just ride. You'll naturally work your way into a comfortable riding position anyway. If not, you're screwed.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:48 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

i find it much easier to control the bike all the way down when i go faster than 75 and accelerating, but going 60 - 75 on the freeway i feel comfy all the way up. and in between when i accelerate between 60 and 75, and anything after that all the way down.
but we all are different and we just have to find that sweet spot.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:58 PM
August 2011 ROTM

If it gets windy, going faster, I tuck more. I am short so I am in halfway tuck position already. But like pepperman said, don't think too much. Just make sure your arms are relaxed

Old 06-19-2011, 11:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will build something I like to call "riding muscles" and "riding flexibility". This is my third season, but after not riding through each winter I just couldn't get comfy on my bike... that's mainly due to the fact that my riding muscles got flabby. Give it another couple weeks and your body should just naturally adjust.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:39 AM
Old 06-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave

Originally Posted by nycclaye
I read up on people on here saying ride in the left lane when possible, did that. It was easier to only worry about traffic on my right too, so thanks for ya'll posting that info up.
I don't know who gave you that bit of bad advice but in my state, and I'm sure many others, it is illegal to ride/drive in the far left lane unless you are passing another vehicle. Plus, unless you check your mirrors every 15 seconds you never know when some jackass going WAY over the speed limit will come up on you and rearend you if you're in the way.

Ride in the right lane unless you are passing (or live in England).

Old 06-21-2011, 01:15 PM

it was actually posted on here.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:52 PM
Administrator - Retired

Last time I did 550miles in a day, I tried all sorts of cool positions. I even sat on the rear seat and stretched out for a while. lol..
My favorite, though, is crouched with my elbows on my knees. Almost completely relaxed.
Btw, it helps a lot if you can lose the back pack and get some soft saddle bags for trips like that. It's less wear and tear on you.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:21 PM

If traffic, weather, and road conditions permit, I like to plant my left elbow on the tank with my arm draped over. I'd rather be loose then tense.

Quick Reply: What's your favorite Position? :)