Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

What to do in traffic trap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
And I'm just saying, rather emphatically, if you rely on that pipe to get attention over moving yourself and your bike out of the harm's way you will end up squished.
^^This

Not going to get into the "loud pipe" myth / debate. What I do know is
  • Taking the engine "offline" by pulling in the clutch to rev the bike is not always the best idea
  • some people react very poorly when under pressure something startles them into awareness

It also is tacitly promoting using something other than skill and awareness to the situation. Which is not acceptable when speaking to a new rider in my book
Backed up by this^^

Only way I wouldn't move or have an escape route in mind is if I was driving my

Last edited by amRRussel; 04-13-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:31 PM

Not going to get into the "loud pipe" myth / debate. What I do know is
  • Taking the engine "offline" by pulling in the clutch to rev the bike is not always the best idea
  • some people react very poorly when under pressure something startles them into awareness

It also is tacitly promoting using something other than skill and awareness to the situation. Which is not acceptable when speaking to a new rider in my book
Though I agree the loud pipe debate is stupid, it has saved me before but it was a combination of things including my own awareness. I was on a regular one lane on each side double yellow road and was stopped and making a turn into a gas station. I watched my mirrors and saw a car coming up right behind me at a high rate of speed. I knew they didnt see me because it was dusk, so I revved my bike to redline and moved over to being on top of the double yellow at this point. The car slammed on their brakes and screeched passed me missing me by inches. Scared the **** out of me. Always check your mirrors when stopped.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:43 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

one way is to just start kicking or punching his truck if he was close enough. they will hear that inside the car. but thats only if they were close enough.
dont forget its your health or even life, and if they get pissed of about it, do the same to their face. that will definitely get their attention.