CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Street Skills (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/)
-   -   Turning, few questions (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/turning-few-questions-133494/)

TS97CBRF3 01-10-2012 05:45 PM

Turning, few questions

Ok (backstory) i bought my first bike about a month ago its a 1997 cbr600 f3, new tires (only 800 miles on them) properly maintained..

ok so i finally got it legal and been riding around town the past few days. finally took it out on the highway, after warming the tires up around town, the road i took has about 30 decent curves in about 12 miles ranging from 30-45 mph curves, speed limit is 60. When i headed out of town on this road being my first time on the highway on a bike i took most all the turns about 40 then sped up to 45 then 50.. on the way back i again got more comfortable on the bike and was doin 60-65 around some corners.

(heres my questions) a few times i noticed a slight wobble from the rear almost like it wanted to come around as i gave it a little bit more throttle it seemed to go away, could this be me just not loading the suspension through the corners ie not rolling on the gas through the corner like i should be?

and also i noticed a few times on increasing radius corners escpecially right turns i wanted to drift up the road on the exit a few times having cars entering the turn on my left i would apply rear brake slightly slighgtly throttle down and lean a little more to avoid crossing the middle line (not 100% comfortable on the bike yet, the leaning still has its moments) is this the proper way to correct me drifting up or?

MadHattr059 01-10-2012 07:07 PM

Your best bet is to take the MSF course. They'll give you hands-on answers.
I don't want to be overly critical, but you are way too in-experienced to be
"comfortable" with your bike yet. Speed kills, so does over-confidence. Keep your
speeds down, especially on the street. If you're going all-out, and around the corner,
comes a dog/deer/CAR or slick-spot in your lane, what are you going to do? You're
going to fast to see, let alone avoid, the problem.

Until you have 3-4 thousand miles under your belt, you should not be sporting, you
should be focused on muscle memory. Teaching your body to operate the controls
smoothly/instinctively. Get out in a big, empty parking lot and practice slow figure-8's
and circles. Practice straight-line braking, off a mark, so you can judge your progress.
Start off slow and keep beating your mark. The hardest part of controlling a bike is the
slow speed stuff. Practicing that will give you the skills for the high-speed games, later.

To answer your original question, that wobble sounds like swing-arm bearings to me.
The swing-arm is shifting around until you load the drive-chain side and stiffen it up.

To check, you have to support the bike off the rear-end (a center-stand is optimal).
but get the load off the wheel and swing-arm. Then, (with somebody stabilizing the
bike), grab the rear axle and try to wiggle the arm side to side. Look right at the pivot
looking for any movement. There shouldn't be any.

I hope this helps, Ride Safe, Ern

grendl 01-10-2012 07:35 PM

+1 on the advice from Hatter. A few comments,since I'm not watching you maybe not accurate, but from your description.
How are you taking the curve ?Outside to start- aiming for the apex as you go in coming back to the outside. This is just an overview. There is a lot of info on this forum that has more detail and when to do what,depending on the curve(s). 30 or more in 12 miles means likely you are doing them back to back. Lots of planning on that is needed.
You mentioned rolling on the gas in the curve(?) Bad idea, braking and speed judgement are performed before you start your lean and while you are in the lean only neutral throttle,assuming your speed is ok. Accelerate out at the end when you are at least mostly upright,not while you are leaned over. Again there is much detailed good advice around you should check out that will describe alternatives when you find yourself going too fast or too slow. Too slow is better.
Last if you are drifting to the outside of the curve, suggest you check your speed and line of entry. Also city highways and streets have a black path down the middle? That is oil.NOT your friend.
The newer bikes (and my old one!) have a huge potential. Learn your bike but take your time and learn it at decent speeds. I question you taking curves 15-20 miles over with the experience you mention.
Don't confuse luck with skill. Ride safe,the speed will come.

TS97CBRF3 01-10-2012 07:54 PM

thx for input.. ive road multiple bikes in town and slow speed, and by no means am i going all out the throttle application im talking about if very little but slow goin into the corner and accelertaing slightly through is what ive always been told.. on left turns i enter high and hit close to the center line then gradual on exit move towards the outside line, same on right turns just doesnt seem as fluid and my left turns, (might have something to do with dirt track racing and always turning left lol) i never crossed the middle line but got close to it..

and i will check the rear and see about the bearings thanks!

KingKong8247 01-10-2012 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by grendl (Post 1123822)
You mentioned rolling on the gas in the curve(?) Bad idea, braking and speed judgement are performed before you start your lean and while you are in the lean only neutral throttle,assuming your speed is ok. Accelerate out at the end when you are at least mostly upright,not while you are leaned over.

In the twist of the wrist 2 video they say to slightly increase the throttle throughout the turn. It says to do all your braking and start rolling on the throttle when you pretty much begin the turn.

I've only been riding for a few months now so I am no where near an expert but I just recently watched the video and that is one of the things I have been trying lately. The bike just feels more planted and stable while taking a curve this way.

estate4life 01-10-2012 09:23 PM

Ern...is correct. Confidence is most important. The more comfortable you are, the better your line. What is the correct speed for a turn? It's the speed you feel comfortable. Shed speed (do all the braking) prior entry of lean, best to maintain steady speed in a lean, then gradually excel out of turn..NOT thru the turn....but when your skill & confidence builds up, your throttle control will sync naturally. And of course countersteering when in a lean to control your line is off topic.

It's hard to put in words...but take your time & build experience, confidence.

Your rear tire wobbly can be multiple reasons?

KingKong8247 01-10-2012 10:52 PM

Maybe what the video was saying is to gradually roll on the throttle to maintain your speed since the throttle will be closed due to slowing down. I'll have to watch it again.

*edit*
Ok if I'm understanding the video correctly it is saying to slow down and turn/lean then get back on the gas and roll-on the throttle through the rest of the turn. This creates a good weight distribution for maximum traction.
From the first couple minutes of this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrhNh...eature=related
Part 2 explains the weight distribution.

Kuroshio 01-11-2012 12:01 AM

The term is "maintenance throttle". Giving it just enough throttle to keep the front / rear weight distribution.

And don't forget the suspension, Ern. Has the suspension been setup? Is it in good condition?

TS97CBRF3 01-11-2012 10:36 AM

Good condition yes, setup idk

and after watching those videos i have good ideas on what i was doing wrong, turning in too early and chopping the throttle when i started to go wide

grendl 01-11-2012 11:51 AM

Guys, I have to say thanx for this even though I didn't pose the original question. The responses here are what make this a fantastic forum.
I have been riding 4 decades, consider myself pretty good. practice and ride in the mountains of Colorado mainly and I STILL just learned something from this video !
Not close to riding season so I cant go practice , but I wont forget. I am going to search for these videos and see what else I am missing.
Great thread !