Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

took her out for the 1st time yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 09:07 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, those first few rides can make you a bit nervous.

Good advice on stopping off-center at lights, giving yourself room, and staying in gear.
Another thing I like to do is flash my brake lights when someone looks like they're coming up fast or not paying attention.
As time progresses, you'll get much more comfortable with riding and the clutch/throttle will become second nature. Just don't get too comfortable and lose attentiveness. Make regular scanning and looking ahead part of what makes you comfortable, not just the act of riding itself.
I also really liked that book "sport riding techniques" by nick ienatsch. There are some good ideas and things to practice in there like emergency braking, efficient cornering, etc.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel the same way. I've only done parking lots so far. I'm nervous as hell about getting out on the road with other people (cars), but damn excited too! Trying to be patient, but it's so hard!

Originally Posted by FriesWithThat84
That first ride on the road around traffic really gets your adrenaline going! I remember feeling so vulnerable around those big cars.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:23 AM

yep, the mirrors suck, i can never seem to get mine adjusted quite right. then when I do get one kinda how I like it it gets bumped.

don't spend all your time in the mirrors and forget about the cars pulling out in front of you!! lol

Old 09-02-2010, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by aww sheet
well my battery died out of the blue. go to the atm come back aannnndddd FAILURE!!!!
i had to recharge it, i don't understand why that happened.
did u leave the bike on idle for a really long time at all today?

Old 09-02-2010, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Ilson Lad
Well done matey! The first few rides are always a bit nerve racking Just remember to go at your own pace & dont get "pressured" by drivers to speed up. Bike mirrors are often less than satisfying if you are used to driving a cage-spend plenty time setting them up the best you can.
Take your time on the first rides & gain confidence!
this^

Cagers pressuring bikers to speed up?! blasphemy. I kid, since it is your first time I understand. But remember that later on you will be setting the pace for everything ^^

Bike mirrors kinda do suck but I am actually more aware of my surroundings on a bike than in a cage. I am sure you will come to see this realization as well. Just keep it up.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by aww sheet
it was interesting to say the least.[/IMG]

Do tell..

Quick Reply: took her out for the 1st time yesterday