Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

took her out for the 1st time yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well done matey! The first few rides are always a bit nerve racking Just remember to go at your own pace & dont get "pressured" by drivers to speed up. Bike mirrors are often less than satisfying if you are used to driving a cage-spend plenty time setting them up the best you can.
Take your time on the first rides & gain confidence!

Old 08-29-2010, 03:06 PM

Nothing you can do about the cars behind you. Do your best to keep an eye on them so that maybe you can get out of the way, but more than likely you really have no move. Best thing to do, accept it and focus on what you can avoid. Last thing you want to do is worry about the guy behind you and run into the guy ahead!

Keep at it!

Old 08-30-2010, 09:24 PM

Hey there, aww sheet. Welcome to our addiction! Just one tip about those cars behind you: when you come to a stop at a light or stop sign don't stop right behind any cars that are in front of you. What I'm saying is pull to one side or the other in your lane such that if you hadn't stopped you would have pulled up next to the car in front of you. If that driver behind you doesn't notice that red light and rear ends the car in front of you, you don't want to be in between them. I saw that happen in the lane right next to me once. Instant death sentence to the young couple on the bike. Not trying to scare you, I just want you to realize that your fear has merit, but you can minimize the danger by thinking ahead. They're all out to get you. Don't let them!
Oh, and happy riding!

Old 08-31-2010, 12:40 AM
Smile

for me wen im at a light i move to the side and always stay in 1st gear and look behind me always if i see a car coming from behind ill engage my clucth a lil bit and move forward slowly ... 1st day i got mines i rode 2 hours in the rain on the highway cold but made it lol

Old 08-31-2010, 07:31 AM

That first ride on the road around traffic really gets your adrenaline going! I remember feeling so vulnerable around those big cars.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by FriesWithThat84
That first ride on the road around traffic really gets your adrenaline going! I remember feeling so vulnerable around those big cars.
lol i felt naked if u know what i mean ... with out a cage around me the 1st time i ever rode on public roads

Quick Reply: took her out for the 1st time yesterday