CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Street Skills (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/)
-   -   tire slip.. (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/tire-slip-144143/)

cam and corona 01-13-2013 11:13 PM

tire slip..

hello!

i ride a 97 cbr 900rr. when ever i try to accelerate complete throttle down the tire just spins and burns out. so i try to ease into it and one i get to about 9k rpms the tire slips again causing me to have to slow down dramatically particularly because i'm inexperienced on a 900 and am used to a 600. so..how do i keep traction with the back tire and possibly wheelie instead? i'm not really sure if i'm even asking the right questions.. advice please!

CorruptFile 01-14-2013 01:01 AM

Less throttle man! A lot less. Unless you really know what you are doing, you shouldn't be opening up the throttle like that at low speeds. A 900 is alot of bike if your inexperienced. A 600 is alot of bike too, but they are a bit more forgiving.

I'd recommend a MSF course. It might just save your life.

Sebastionbear1 01-14-2013 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by CorruptFile (Post 1211373)
Less throttle man! A lot less. Unless you really know what you are doing, you shouldn't be opening up the throttle like that at low speeds. A 900 is alot of bike if your inexperienced. A 600 is alot of bike too, but they are a bit more forgiving.

I'd recommend a MSF course. It might just save your life.

+1 CorruptFile,

Cam and Corona, take it easy on the throttle man. Posts like this scare me, and are usually followed by another post titled "well I crashed my bike!"

Get to know the 900, feed the power in, don't slam the throttle. You'll get there, but don't rush it.

Cheers, SB

raylee 01-14-2013 07:14 AM

That 900rr is a wheelie machine, what you're describing shouldn't be happening. I recommend you get your suspension tuned, check tire pressure and possibly wait till your tires are warmed up before you hammer it... or maybe even get a new tire if it's getting on in age.

wes 17 01-14-2013 02:57 PM

This just doesnt sound right to me. How you hav`nt been thrown off amazes me. I might be wrong but it sounds like you are actually trying to "wheelie" and what your describing are your attempts. This is dangerous. Are you sure that the rear wheel is "spinning" and "burning out". Whats going on with your clutch when all this is going on ? Are you dragging it ? I would recommend you forget about wheelies for a long while and just concentrate on having fun with both wheels on the ground. I dont want to sound patronising but it will all fall into place naturally as you become more experienced. Take your time mate and have fun.

maverick0716 01-14-2013 03:51 PM

If the tire is actually spinning that bad then the tire is either stone cold or garbage. Old tires will lose their gripping capabilities because the rubber dries out and gets hard.

cam and corona 01-14-2013 08:33 PM

i'm going to try and respond to most of these in one post :p

i havn't been thrown off because i'm new to a 900, not inexperienced. it's extremely cold outside, which would definitely not be helping my tires. the tires themselves are brand new. where i live it's currently 22 degress outside. so i bundle up. and i love doing wheelies. i did them all the time on my 600. i'm not going to kill myself so you guys need to relax haha. the clutch is engaged when it happens. usually when it slips i pull in the clutch and counter balance. i'm just testing the bikes limits and mine. thank you all for the advice! i appreciate it!

Kuroshio 01-14-2013 11:10 PM

Tires and pavement is cold most likely... and you're prolly a little throttle happy too.

Yolie is trying to skate a bit right now and it's a good 20 degrees warmer here. Especially when I first start off in the morning. TC kicks in before she can actually slip the rear. But I know the feeling of breaking the rear loose very well. Cols tires + cold pavement = easing on the throttle more than spring / summer /fall.

That said, the other's warnings are quite correct. You can't be throttle happy with a liter bike. I'm not familiar with the 900rr. But I went from a F4i to a s1000rr. Everything moved around, especially the powerband. Where my F4i started entering the powerband around 7.5k-8k, Yolie starts to get on at 10k+. And while I had to discover this stuff through experimenting and testing limits, I did not experiment with her in the middle of winter. If you're going to test limits, you do so under ideal conditions. That doesn't just mean an open road. It also means good WARM weather.

I mean no matter how much you warm up the tires, you can't warm up the pavement. And if you're all bundled up against the cold, that (and when the cold creeps in anyways) will desensitize you somewhat.

maverick0716 01-14-2013 11:14 PM

Obviously its the cold weather then....that's a no brainer.

Kuroshio 01-14-2013 11:31 PM

Oh and a couple other things:

Check your clutch isn't slipping / has too much slack in the cable.

Not sure pulling the clutch in is the best response, especially since you say you're counter-balancing. That implies you're not fully upright. The decel is gonna load the front tire. Careful you don't cause the front to tuck.

And the guys here, unlike many other forums, actually care about ppl they've never met and may never meet. When they see something potentially dangerous to a fellow rider, they look to protect them. So try not to hold it against them ;)