CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Street Skills (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/)
-   -   Tips: Handling the wind? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/tips-handling-wind-111810/)

Kuroshio 06-07-2010 08:29 AM

Tips: Handling the wind?

Alrighty I already know how to handle windy conditions. But post up tips on what to do when the wind is kicking up. How to handle crosswinds, sudden changes and drafts from large vehicles.

Was riding yesterday and it was pretty gusty. Only thing I need are ear plugs and to learn to look at my tach (or get a different pipe). I couldn't hear the engine over the wind and I shift by ear :p

martin_pa 06-08-2010 09:30 PM

When I first started riding I got tense and consequently put too much input to the handlebars causing even more problems. So now, I consciously stay loose on the handlebars and only correct when absolutely necessary.

I still get blown around but I try not to make it worse with instinctive reactions. This past weekend it was pretty windy, but I had no problems of cruising at "highway" speeds. Stay loose is my advice.

Nex 06-08-2010 10:45 PM

Staying Loose is great advice. At highway speeds, I'd also add that it helps to stay low as well. I hit some winds that were so bad my first week out I had to ride in full tuck on the highway to keep from being blown off into the gravel.

LingLing 06-08-2010 10:51 PM

Just like others have said, stay loose and don't be jerky with your inputs.

The thing with gusts is that you never know when they're coming. I'll favor the center of my lane so in case a big gust comes and really throws me around I have a few feet of room on each side to keep me out of trouble. Keep your inputs smooth and controlled and make sure to watch for things blowing across the street (I've almost been broad-sided by a lawn chair before lol).

MT Wallet 06-09-2010 12:15 AM

I just try my best to hunker down and lay my chest on the tank and shield myself behind the windscreen.

Hard to do on a Fireblade, I know.

Also, listening to Bob Seger's "Against the Wind" before a ride, usually gets me in the right frame of mind.

Sprock 06-09-2010 07:06 PM

all great advice ....... yup I tuck good .....lower profile

other than that

I just eat less beans & drink less beer

halffast1g 06-09-2010 09:25 PM

All we are is dust in the wind!. . .

davethepom 06-10-2010 02:00 AM

I agree with staying loose in the arms but I tend to hang on with my knees when the wind really gets up. Don't you love it when long gusts have you leaning far over just to stay in a straight line, then the wind just totally cuts out...just makes for more excitement imo. Better still when it's raining too and a semi trailer coming the other way blocks the wind for a split second while you cop all the spray and can't see for sh!t:).

Oh yeah, the other thing you can do for riding safety in windy conditions is.........get a cbr1000f. There's no substitute for mass:D:D.

cbrsixpack 06-10-2010 02:06 AM

Just stick out both knees @90* deg.Like a kiel on a maxi,works every time.

bubba_finch07 06-10-2010 02:21 AM

I tuck down as low as I can go, and keep a lose grip making deliberate adjustments or moves.