CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Street Skills (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/)
-   -   Taking off on hills - need some help (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/taking-off-hills-need-some-help-121007/)

maxshoe 02-09-2011 12:14 PM

Taking off on hills - need some help

So i've had my bike for about 1 entire week! And i'm still learning alot about it. (pretty much stuck to 35mph or slower) i'm having difficulty taking off on hills...any advice about where my rpm's should be or anything? Thanks!

gotcbr 02-09-2011 01:10 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Its all about clutch-control & friction-zone. Naturally, you need sufficient RPMs to pull the bike. Practice on lower hills/inclines til you get the feel.

Have you taken the MSF Course? If not, I highly recommend you take it. You'll learn basic operation & safety. Its a great base for learning how to ride. Look here for info & course availability... http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx

Again, welcome. Do as much reading as you can on technique, etc. There's lots of great info here on the forum. Wear your gear & be safe.

thrasher572 02-09-2011 02:55 PM

Pull in the clutch and put your bike in first gear. Put your left foot on the ground. Keep yourself from rolling backwards by applying the rear brake(right foot). Give it some gas and let the clutch out slowly. When you hear the engine start to load slowly release the rear brake. When the bike has moved far enough that you have to move your left foot, lift it and place it on the peg.

Piranha 02-09-2011 03:10 PM

^^+1

clintthec 02-09-2011 07:06 PM

You could do what my dad did to me when I asked. Go to the biggest incline in town and make you do it over and over while he laughs at you the first time....... I mean it works when you know if you dont do it right you hit that nice beamer behind you. Ah the joys of being a son know as jackass

tucsondude 02-09-2011 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by clintthec (Post 1012967)
You could do what my dad did to me when I asked. Go to the biggest incline in town and make you do it over and over while he laughs at you the first time....... I mean it works when you know if you dont do it right you hit that nice beamer behind you. Ah the joys of being a son know as jackass

bahh forget his beemer how about my fairings? jkjkjk

left foot on ground, rt foot on brake helps.

CBRfenatic93 02-10-2011 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by thrasher572 (Post 1012871)
Pull in the clutch and put your bike in first gear. Put your left foot on the ground. Keep yourself from rolling backwards by applying the rear brake(right foot). Give it some gas and let the clutch out slowly. When you hear the engine start to load slowly release the rear brake. When the bike has moved far enough that you have to move your left foot, lift it and place it on the peg.

+1 to this.

Also try to find some smaller hills to practice on.

maxshoe 02-10-2011 10:39 AM

Thanks! yah I'm taking the class on the 28th of this month! I'll be practicing everyday till then!

moosestng 02-10-2011 07:09 PM

Find a covered parking deck and go at night when there are not as many people there and practice your inclines there ...

Kuroshio 02-10-2011 08:07 PM

i'm not too big on practicing the advanced before the basics. And the basics is getting to know the friction zone on the clutch. During the BRC I may have felt like an idiot sitting on the 250cc and "walking" the bike. But they wouldn't let anyone put their feet on the pegs till they practiced with the friction zone.

And then they proceeded to continue hammering it in during the day. Learn the friction zone on a level surface. Find exacting how far you can let out the clutch before the bike begins to pull. Trying to learn the friction zone while on a hill is a good way to drop YOUR bike... when the MSF so kindly provides beater 250ccs, no stress and a flat surface for a reason