Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

shifting above 10+ rpm

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifting above 10+ rpm

ive been riding my 08 600rr for about 3 months, i love it, every penny spent every form of nagging from the miss is well worth it.

the past few months ive been shifting at 7-9 rpm and its been smooth and instantaneous no problem. yesterday and today ive been trying to shift at 10+ rpm and its a little scary.. the bike just jerks and a few times i think the front wheel came up.. is it from the sprockets being geard and the 520? or is it from me pulling the throttle too much while releasing the clutch? thank you in advance,

-justin

Old 07-07-2010, 04:24 PM

well if your twisting the throttle to much when letting out the clutch its gunna definetly jump especially if its geared thats how you do wheelies by poppin the clutch like that, gotta find the nice median of throttle and clutch for smooth shifts try less throttle or no throttle when releasin after shifting for awhile and work your way up on the throttle from there till you get nice smooth shifts

Last edited by stretch_the_apex; 07-07-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:16 PM

that makes sense, can i still have the throttle at like 5rpm or so and release the clutch? just went for a 10 min ride and tried it, my shifting is improving and becoming a little smoother shifting at those rpms.. thank you apex

Old 07-09-2010, 11:44 AM

no prob, its like shifting a stick shift car, you want to put a little throttle down when clutch is all most let out enough to keep the rpms stable but not climbing until the clutch is completly out if that makes any sense at least for normal ridin, you'll see when you get some good ride time in you'll have no problems with it

Old 07-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not even gonna ask where the phuq your riding like that at lol

Old 07-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
I'm not even gonna ask where the phuq your riding like that at lol
For me it's getting on I95 North on Columbus Blvd from the stop light. Enter at speed or get squished

Course that's just 1-2.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
For me it's getting on I95 North on Columbus Blvd from the stop light. Enter at speed or get squished

Course that's just 1-2.
lol.

I-95 is no joke. I got on it today for some joy riding and I had to go around a the cars ahead of me while trying to get on from the on ramp.

The problem is many cars that are already on the highway don't like letting people in or switching lanes when they see on-merging vehicles.

But yep, 8-10K RPM is about what it takes to get onto those kind of roads sometimes.

Happy safe riding!!!

Old 07-12-2010, 12:29 AM

yea dumping the clutch like that is gonna make it jerk like that then ull probably let go of the throttle to keep from lifting the front up then it will jerk again most likely lol. Id just say when u let off the throttle a little to shift ease back onto it instead of leaving it open or jerking it open or letting go of it

Old 07-27-2010, 04:55 PM

I've let the tachometer climb up to 14k in first to fourth on interstate...seems like my F4i shifts super smooth at the redline...where it's very "notchy" or "clunky" at 3k

Old 07-28-2010, 08:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of this is very situation dependent.

Like someone else said, I hope you're not just riding around town like that... lol

In the city I'll cruise somewhere around 7k and shift at 9k or so. There's really not much reason to wind it out and it's just going to make your riding jerky with all of the slow riding and stop and go.

In the twisties I won't really go below 11k rpms or so... but with all of the the acceleration/braking/engine braking it's very smooth because I'm keeping it in the power band to maximize acceleration and engine braking.

If you're just doing this cruising around town I'd cut it out. That would explain why it's feeling rough and it's not really helping your bike. You're killing your mpg's and you're running the bike harder and hotter (high rpms with low air flow) for no real reason.

Quick Reply: shifting above 10+ rpm